tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I have a q6600 at 7 x 400 FSB equaling 2.8ghz. Stock is 9 x 266 equaling 2.4 ghz.

My question is: Is higher FSB better than having say a super high multipler as far as processing data/ being faster at the same frequency?

Ex. 6 multiplier at 500 FSB = 3.0ghz vs a 20 multiplier at 150 FSB = 3.0 ghz

It seems from some of the benchmarking I did that it "allows" more data to be pushed through? Is this a correct assumptions.

Please any input is well recieved.

Solution
pretty much.

raising the FSB overclocks the whole system, whereas raising the multiplier only affects the CPU.

most importantly the RAM will get a big boost from an FSB increase. though you won't be able to reach the same sort of overclocks as easily with FSB changes compared to multiplier changes.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
pretty much.

raising the FSB overclocks the whole system, whereas raising the multiplier only affects the CPU.

most importantly the RAM will get a big boost from an FSB increase. though you won't be able to reach the same sort of overclocks as easily with FSB changes compared to multiplier changes.

Solution

smittymcsmite

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I would like to know if there is an equivilent. Seeing as how my bios dosent allow me to overclock via changing voltage/frequ. and I am currently using a program to change the voltage of my processor(E7500) so i would assume there was such a program.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
you could try setFSB, a handy program i have used in the past. can't say if it will work with your mobo though.

im not aware of any equivalent to Overdrive though, so you may be out of lcuk. hopefully im wrong though and someone can recommend a program for the job.

tainted_peak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for everyones replies, and Smitty your just better off spending $50 and buying a gigabyte board if you want to overclock using anything other than bios is always a gamble and hard to get good results without being able to control voltages.