Sign in with
Your question

Trying to make my RAM run at 1600Mhz instead of 1333.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 7, 2010 11:31:01 PM

I have an i5-750 with a P55 motherboard, and G.Skill ripjaws.

I have read you can just turn on the XMP profile to make it run at 1600 but that will disable turbo mode. Does turbo absolutely have to be disabled in order to run at 1600? If so then I will OC, I just don't want it any slower than 3Ghz if I have to.

Right now its running at 1333(obviously) with a cas latency of 9 and a voltage of 1.54. I have attempted raising the timings and failed miserably. G.Skill claims a cas latency of 7 and a voltage of 1.65(at 1600 I assume) and that's what I'm after, I don't want to just raise the voltage and get a little better performance I want as much as I can get(from the RAM of course :)  .

Sorry if the answer is listed somewhere else I was getting frustrated trying to find it :sweat:  .

Motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 11:42:27 PM

You have to raise the bclk to 160 since the ram multi is 10x. Probably can do that on stock volts.
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:38:35 AM

Thanks EXT64, I wasn't quite sure whether that was all I had to do. I raised the voltage to 1.65, put the timings to 7-8-7 and its good to go . Guess I should have asked about the bios on this MB.....it wasn't letting me change the BCLK and I clicked on OC tuner utility and it restarted and put me at 195x19(3.7Ghz) :ouch:  , but that's my fault I had turbo profile highlighted. However I figured it out and now my Ram is at 1600Mhz and I'm OCed to 160x20(3.21Ghz).
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 3:19:49 AM

Good to hear it is working. What is your core voltage set in the BIOS, and more importantly what does CPU-Z report when loaded? Depending on your chip, you may be able to reduce the core voltage a bit (so it will last longer, run cooler, and use less power).
m
l
May 8, 2010 4:33:53 AM

EXT64 said:
Good to hear it is working. What is your core voltage set in the BIOS, and more importantly what does CPU-Z report when loaded? Depending on your chip, you may be able to reduce the core voltage a bit (so it will last longer, run cooler, and use less power).

Well my core voltage is 1.192.

Hopefully my CPU-Z image showed up, and I'm getting ready to test it under prime 95. Realtemp gives me right around 40*C at idle so I guess that isn't all that bad and I'm using a hyper 212+.

Should I just basically reduce the voltage one step at a time and test it to see when I start getting performance drops?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 12:36:58 PM

Are all the power saving options still on in the BIOS (EIST, C1, etc.)? You'll probably hit instability before performance drops. Usually I lower voltage then run Prime 95 Large FFT for 10 min. If it passed, I lower again (in small increments). When it does fail, raise the voltage a notch or two and then run Prime 95 for a long time (6-24 hrs). Of course if that fails at any point, voltages must be raised again. Can also use LinX if you don't want to wait 12 hrs, however that takes a little preparation.
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:45:15 PM

EXT64 said:
Are all the power saving options still on in the BIOS (EIST, C1, etc.)? You'll probably hit instability before performance drops. Usually I lower voltage then run Prime 95 Large FFT for 10 min. If it passed, I lower again (in small increments). When it does fail, raise the voltage a notch or two and then run Prime 95 for a long time (6-24 hrs). Of course if that fails at any point, voltages must be raised again. Can also use LinX if you don't want to wait 12 hrs, however that takes a little preparation.

I'm pretty sure their still on because I never turned them off. I did prime95 last night for about 15minutes(but only on blend). It easily passed even with me also surfing the web at the same time, so I guess I need to do large FFT and leave it on for longer.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 2:56:48 PM

What temps are you getting in prime? I asked about the power saving mainly because the idle temps seem a hair high. My idle temps are lower (more around 30C I think).
m
l
May 8, 2010 5:18:44 PM

EXT64 said:
What temps are you getting in prime? I asked about the power saving mainly because the idle temps seem a hair high. My idle temps are lower (more around 30C I think).

Core #1 hit a maximum of 60*C the rest were a couple degrees cooler. I used real temp to measure that, I didn't look at the temp in the bios though.

On stock settings core #1 was either 30*C or cooler, barely hitting 40*C under load.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 7:41:01 PM

That sounds pretty good. At max mine hits 55-57C. I use HWMonitor to get the core temps, however I checked real temp and it read the same.
m
l
!