jvonbaker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I had a electrical breaker thrown in my house today which knocked out my PC.

Upon reboot, the system recognized memory and HD and hung on checking NVRAM. After waiting several minutes, I rebooted and only got as far as a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I powered off and cleared the cmos on the back of the motherboard (MSI P7N Platinum). After powering up, I received a "CMOS Checksum Bad" error.

Any suggestions?

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Reboot, get into the BIOS, set time and date, boot order, video selection...Make sure the hard drive is being seen and make sure the drive type selection is either ATA or AHCI, depends on how new the computer is and if you set it up to begin with...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
CMOS Checksum errors are totally normal when the BIOS is reset. Simply enter the BIOS, reset all the settings as needed for the system, then Save and Exit. When the system reboots, that particular error should disappear. I'm not certain, but the NVRAM hang-up may still occur if in fact the flashable BIOS chip was damaged by the power disruption.

If the NVRAM hang-up does reoccur, you should try removing all components and reinstalling them one by one and attempting to successfully POST. After POST, enter the BIOS and Save & Exit. When the system reboots, see if it will get to the the point where it's looking for a bootable device, then power down and add another component. Use the CPU, RAM, Floppy or Optical Drive, and Graphics Card only for the first attempt, then add other devices one by one, with the hard disk(s) added last.

jvonbaker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks guys, problem solved.

For some reason, the boot sequence was redirected to a camera that was hooked up to the USB port.