Cant upgrade to Service Pack 2

ramulux

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
So I recently went through some problems with viruses and malware that I have been pretty much able to fix at this point. However, now my audio is no longer working and I am unable to upgrade to service pack 2.

At first I had a BSOD but after doing a repair re-install I was able to get to my desktop but it was still riddled with malware. Before I realized I should go into safe mode to fix things I accidentally tried to upgrade to service pack 2. Part way through, it froze on "Running processes before installation" and would not go any farther, so I canceled it. After that I went into safe mode and got rid of all the malware.

Now, my audio devices are not working and reinstalling the drivers is not working. I also cant upgrade to service pack 2 without the installation freezing at the same point as before.

I'm guessing that I messed something up by trying to upgrade to service pack 2 while my system still had a bunch of malware on it.

Wondering what I should do to be able to upgrade to service pack 2 and whether or not this problem could be related to my audio problems.

My audio driver is a RealTek High Definition Audio and ATI Function Driver for HD Audio.