Cant upgrade to Service Pack 2

So I recently went through some problems with viruses and malware that I have been pretty much able to fix at this point. However, now my audio is no longer working and I am unable to upgrade to service pack 2.

At first I had a BSOD but after doing a repair re-install I was able to get to my desktop but it was still riddled with malware. Before I realized I should go into safe mode to fix things I accidentally tried to upgrade to service pack 2. Part way through, it froze on "Running processes before installation" and would not go any farther, so I canceled it. After that I went into safe mode and got rid of all the malware.

Now, my audio devices are not working and reinstalling the drivers is not working. I also cant upgrade to service pack 2 without the installation freezing at the same point as before.

I'm guessing that I messed something up by trying to upgrade to service pack 2 while my system still had a bunch of malware on it.

Wondering what I should do to be able to upgrade to service pack 2 and whether or not this problem could be related to my audio problems.

My audio driver is a RealTek High Definition Audio and ATI Function Driver for HD Audio.
1 answer Last reply
More about cant upgrade service pack
  1. The sound problem...

You also need Microsoft UAA high definition sound driver (kb888111.exe) before sound will work.

Get it
    HERE

The update to SP2... either run sfc /scannow or do a repair install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Malware Audio Windows XP