Promise S150 Tx4 : Won't boot/show drives

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
(XP-SP3) I got an new Promise S150Tx4 for my old OC'er NF7-S 2.0 and of course with the drivers and everything running/working and installed, I cannot for the life of me get the dang drives to show up. All I'm trying to do atm is run both my boot drive and Storage drive in JBOD mode, which should be as simple as installing said drivers, attaching drives, disabling the on-board mobo Sata-raid support, and enabling SCSI boot in the mobo bios and so forth; well as you can read, it's not working.

When I go to boot from my Raptor and the storage drive connected to ports 1-2, I get "disk boot error, blah blah"... When I reconnect the raptor to the mobo, and the Storage to the S150, win boots, but the drive doesn't show, yet in the dev-mgr = the card and driver shows up fine... What gives, am I forgetting something simple?

Thx

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
From Promise KB:

Product: FastTrak S150 SX4

Additional Description: Unable to boot from Promise controller : Promise card are seen as a SCSI device and to boot from a Promise controller or any 3rd party controller you would need to change the boot sequence respectively the mother boards CMOS.

Solution: Change boot option in CMOS and it will vary from system to system on what options are available to either SCSI, Add in boot card, or Option ROM. If motherboard supports the BIOS Boot Specification, each individual hard drive attached to the SATA150 TX will appear in the bootable device list. If motherboard does not have any of the boot devices mention here on its list then try disabling the onboard contoller as a last option.

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008

Hey thanks for the reply... yeah I've tried all of that and more; nothing seems to work.

I've tried:

1) plug'n play = drives are recognized by the Tx4, but fail to boot and or show in XP dev-mgr for general storage.

2) Disabled Sata/Raid function in bios = null.

3) Enabled "boot from other dev" and "Scsi" boot options = null.

4) Switched PCI slots/tried diff Tx4 controller ports = null.

5) Tried a combo of all of the above in bios/physical location = null.

As you can see nothing that I can think of related to the BIOS/mobo settings seem to work, but the card does recognize the drives solely as being there, but not boot-able, nor for JBOD mode. It should be as simple as plugging in the storage drive and so forth; least that's how it's been with other Promise cards in the past...

Geesh time to call tech support... Tech failure... :whistle: