CPU benchmark advice

zakman

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Please forgive me if this an obvious question, but I have been searching a lot and haven't been able to find my answer. I have been looking at the CPU benchmarks and am a bit overwelmed. I want to compare CPUs but I don't know which benchmark to use. The problem is that I don't know what the CPU will be used for down the road. Right now, I want to use it for general purpose stuff, plus video encoding.

I was hoping to find a "summary" or "total" or "Average" score that simply totals all the benchmarks together to get one number, but I don't seem to be able to find this. I also can't find any details on what the benchmark is testing. Some of them are obvious, "itunes" for example, but even that, do they mean playing a song, importing, burning or what?

-Zak

edunham

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Good question, I was coming here to post something similar. What benchmark should we look at for video editing. I see the one for Blu-Ray playback, is that a good one to use? I think that will be the same for both of us.

Mondoman

Splendid
Depends on what you mean by "video editing". Bluray playback works for playback, encoding works for encoding, but hard drive read/write performance will make a big difference for loading/saving clips. Take your pick -- there's no easy answer.

LumberWagon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I agree the charts could have a "compile scores for selected tests with selected processors" box (or boxes), but I'd also like to see new processors added. Be good to see the Phenom 2 on there compared to the old Phenoms. Hope it doesn't take until Q3 09.