Sign in with
Your question

Core Temp VS CPU Temp

Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2010 3:00:11 AM

I currently have the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler, and I just read the temperatures on Everest and found something suprising. I saw that my CORE 1,2,3 on my Athlon II X3 435(overclocked to 3.5ghz) was 21c, and my CPU temp is 36c. Which temperature is more important, and should'nt the core temp be higher than CPU temp??!?I have checked multiple temperature detected software such as speedfan and coretemp, but they are all the same. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MSI NF750-G55
Corsair xms3 4gb 1600mhz
AMD Athlon II X3 435 overclocked at 3.5ghz
Antec 300 case
Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb
OCZ Modxstream 500w
Sapphire HD 5850

More about : core temp cpu temp

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 3:33:43 AM

My Athlon II X2 does the same thing. Core should be more accurate, however it appears mine (and yours) may be miscalibrated/misdetected. A good way to check is to see if at idle (or even unOC'ed) core temp goes below ambient. If it does, the core temp is wrong as that is physically impossible.
May 8, 2010 1:52:20 PM

EXT64 said:
My Athlon II X2 does the same thing. Core should be more accurate, however it appears mine (and yours) may be miscalibrated/misdetected. A good way to check is to see if at idle (or even unOC'ed) core temp goes below ambient. If it does, the core temp is wrong as that is physically impossible.

Thanks for the reply. My temperature is actually exactly the ambient temperature. I also noticed after both are under load, they both go up the same # of degrees. Anyway, I guess I will listen to core temp.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 2:05:50 PM

Is Cool n Quiet on? If not, I doubt that the die actually gets to ambient, so if the core temp gets to ambient, I would not trust it.
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 2:16:46 PM

Core temps are gonna be atleast 10 degrees higher then your Ambient temp.
May 11, 2010 1:55:49 AM

EXT64 said:
Is Cool n Quiet on? If not, I doubt that the die actually gets to ambient, so if the core temp gets to ambient, I would not trust it.

No, coolnquiet is off
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 11, 2010 2:13:09 AM

Then I would not trust the core temp. Go with the higher CPU temp instead, and perhaps even add a C or two to that.
!