Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Choppy video playback?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2009 5:56:56 PM

What can cause a choppy video playback? This is not only when watching/streaming movies, but also in games. It's not like a sudden jumpy chop, but a constant 24/7 minimal chop. Just reformatted, rules out spy ware/virus and processes problems and those type of problems. Graphic tweaking does not help, since i am not only playing games, but watching streamed movies as well. This includes vsync and different drivers.

Gpu and cpu temps are good.

I've tried different video card/psu/ram. Each time i switched GPU, i reformatted and did a clean install. Have not tried changing CPU/MOBO/HDD. Which one do you think is the culprit?

I dont know if this is normal or not, but when my cpu is idle at 0% load, every few random seconds my HDD activity light ticks as if it's accessing it for a split second.

windows pro sp2
E6300 @ 2.45
gigabyte ga-945p-s3 LATEST FLASH
2gb corsair ram
400gb seagate sata
4350 radeon PCI-E
450w fortron PSU

More about : choppy video playback

January 8, 2009 11:55:49 PM

bump//
January 9, 2009 1:05:01 AM

Chop or flicker?
You did not state what monitor you are using.
LCD or CRT and what refresh setting are you using?
If set too low like 60 you would see flicker from the slow refresh.
In the monitor setting there should be a choice for best settings.
Did you recently change monitors?
Related resources
January 9, 2009 2:08:54 AM

rwinches said:
Chop or flicker?
You did not state what monitor you are using.
LCD or CRT and what refresh setting are you using?
If set too low like 60 you would see flicker from the slow refresh.
In the monitor setting there should be a choice for best settings.
Did you recently change monitors?

Chop man... i said chop like 3 times in my OP. Flicker does not make videos run "sluggish"
January 9, 2009 6:03:55 AM

OH nasty reply! Thanks, I just trying to help with my 20+ years experience.
Using internal sound car can cause choppy video.
so you might try a dedicated sound card OK?
January 9, 2009 6:17:55 AM

could be the watered down trailer park card too.... Wink
January 9, 2009 6:26:28 AM

Thanks PAL!
Sometimes I don't know why I bother.
I really do love this stuff though.
January 9, 2009 6:29:30 AM

sharken said:
could be the watered down trailer park card too.... Wink

Oh yeah, because last time i checked, you need atleast a 8800GT to watch MOVIES correct? Damn sucks for the people that used computers back in 2000, i bet they couldnt watch movies or play games properly at all. (SARCASM)

I love how nowadays there's so many people that just argue about getting FASTER and BETTER specs, when in this case, it's not it at all. Whats me getting an 9800gt do anything if the culprit happens to be the motherboard?
January 9, 2009 6:33:14 AM

NO,
You may need a separate sound card to get smooth video though!
January 9, 2009 6:38:46 AM

I was just playing... i give away cards to many people, 8800's etc relax
January 9, 2009 6:46:59 AM

I don't think you get it.
Your system sounds great!
I kept buying better MB's but still got problems because the on-board sound could not handle the task at hand.
Bite the bullet and buy a quality sound card.
And BTW we did watch videos on CD in 2000
January 9, 2009 6:51:50 AM

Oh Yeah
Doom was around in the ninety's so great games were available.
January 9, 2009 7:00:04 AM

rwinches said:
I don't think you get it.
Your system sounds great!
I kept buying better MB's but still got problems because the on-board sound could not handle the task at hand.
Bite the bullet and buy a quality sound card.
And BTW we did watch videos on CD in 2000

Sounds it could be possible. What your problem similiar to mine? No apparent fps drops but noticeable choppy image?

Then again, i dont know. I've used onboard sound before and never had problems, and also know alot of people on onboard without problems as well. Then again, there's also the opposite
October 16, 2009 2:00:43 AM

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I've had the same problem with my Windows 7 install. It seems to be a common problem, but I did not find any real solutions. Until now.
I have an 8600 GTS (DirectX 10 compliant) running Windows 7 x64 on an AMD X2 5600+. I never had any trouble until upgrading to Windows 7. Then my full screen video (Hulu, YouTube, DVDs, etc...) was really choppy.
I installed the latest version of DirectX and now everything is fine. It seems that (at least in my case) DirectX wasn't properly installed, or it didn't properly register with the latest nVidia drivers and by going to http://www.microsoft.com/directx and installing the latest DirectX, my choppy video issues went away.

I hope this helps someone.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 1:25:36 PM

I don't know if this is too late to be helpful, but reading this thread gave me an idea on how to fix the same exact issue.

My video was choppy when streaming movies. It wasn't always like this, so I knew the computer could handle it.

I went into the advanced volume controls and noticed that "video" was muted. I am assuming this was making the video sound go through the computer and not the sound card, if that makes sense. I'm not an expert.

But anyway, unchecking "mute" for video in advanced volume control did the trick.
March 1, 2010 1:46:27 AM

same problem here
video playback is choppy, but not at all. Some codecs run ok.

windows 7x64
radeon 4870x2
raid-0 HDDx4
8 gb ram
phenom 995 at 3000 MHz

This problem following me few years in different hardware, but AMD CPUs opterons, chipset nVidia and windows x64 all the time.
September 23, 2010 10:53:29 PM

I had choppy video on startup using Nero. Changed from windows 7 aero theme to Basic theme and now they are fast and smooth. You can set a set the shortcut compatibility mode to disable desktop composition for this program.
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 23, 2010 10:56:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!