High cpu temps

liascm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
hey there, hope your having a good day.

today i received the coolermaster v8 cpu cooler which is supposed too be really good, i applied thermal paste and installed it on my e8500 dual core cpu, booted up windows looked at temps, it was idling at 39 degreed and when running prime 95(cpu stress test) i found my temperatures too pop around 58 degrees, is this right, i have just bought a very good cooler intended for i7 really, installed it on a dual core cpu that isnt overclocked and im getting these temps, surely this cant be right, its mounted properly on the cpu

any ideas on these temps?

regards

Your results are well within acceptable operating ranges.

What is the room temperature where your pc is located? Room temps might affect the results.

How is your pc case ventilation, airflow, and cooling capacity? That may or may not make a difference of a few degrees.

liascm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
i have excellent airflow, i have the antec 900 two case, although these temps are ok i should be getting much lower and i dont have alot of headroom for overclocking

niforean

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
the e8500 has a huge amount of headroom for overclocking, reaching 4.0ghz on air or even 4.4ghz water, and those are average results. prime95 spares no clock cycle in its stress testing, raising the temperature a huge amount. no normal application or game will ever stress the cpu that much.

for example, if you overclocked it to 4ghz and then played crysis while listening to music, torrenting and doing a virus check (like i do sometimes) the temperature might get around 60 degrees or so, at max 70 (which are still fine temperatures - Xeon's (server cpu's) with the same architecture (which i currently forget the name of) at my work run between 70 and 90 degrees 24/7, as the server room doesnt have good a/c. still, the cpu's run fine and i think the TJ max or whatever the max temp is is around 100 or 110 degrees. my q9450 at home has run at 117 degrees before, because my brother pulled the heatsink off as a "joke". nethertheless, i was playing left 4 dead for about 20mins before i realised, then nearly shat myself.

your temps are fine, so get that overclocking going!!!

liascm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
thanks for this reply, helped me alot, if i was too overclock too about 4ghz what would the tempretures reach? with everything on auto except fsb