Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Multimedia Card

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
July 17, 2005 12:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info, the contents
are listed as 'Application,' 'Audio,' 'Document,' etc but I am not able
to identify them nor delete them. I do know some of the files when, for
example, I use DocumentToGo and a Word file is listed as being on the
MM Card. Otherwise, I won't know any of the contents. Help, anyone?

More about : multimedia card

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:25:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Anthony" <amn1717@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
>of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info...

Try using the file managers FileZ or FileProg. You can't launch but you should
be able to see them. Also you can look inside the files using SiEd. Google to
find these free programs. However Palm has probably encrypted the card in some
way so this may not work, but give it a try. Course an inexpensive card reader
on your PC would be easier...
July 19, 2005 11:21:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

AaronJ wrote:
> "Anthony" <amn1717@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there any application that I can use to read and launch the contents
> >of my Palm's Infineon MultiMedia Card? Using Card Info...
>
> Try using the file managers FileZ or FileProg. You can't launch but you should
> be able to see them. Also you can look inside the files using SiEd. Google to
> find these free programs. However Palm has probably encrypted the card in some
> way so this may not work, but give it a try. Course an inexpensive card reader
> on your PC would be easier...


I have installed FileZ and it's ok. Thanks for the recommendation! Even
though I could not launch, I could delete unnecessary files that I
could read. However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?

With SiEd, I get unreadable data, memory problems and my Palm hangs. I
am uninstalling it. Can you recommend an uninstaller program? Thanks!
Related resources
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:48:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"Anthony" <amn1717@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have installed FileZ and it's ok. Thanks for the recommendation! Even
>though I could not launch, I could delete unnecessary files that I
>could read.

Glad it helped. But still, think about getting a card reader to use with your
PC. It does the same thing much easier and faster. And they're cheap at around
US$20.

>However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
>I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?

It is probably used by a program on your Palm. You could try checking the
creator. Hit the little icon next to 'size' in Filez and select "creator" and
check the creator ID of that file. Then switch to main memory and see if you can
find the program with that same creator ID.

>With SiEd, I get unreadable data,

True, but if you sift through that data you can sometimes find strings of
readable text that will give you a clue about the file.

>memory problems and my Palm hangs.

Sorry about that. I haven't run into that problem.

>am uninstalling it. Can you recommend an uninstaller program?

If SiEd is in main memory then just hit the menu icon and select app>delete.

You can run FileZ and SiEd (and many other programs) directly from the card. But
you have to put them in the folder Palm/Launcher or the Palm won't see them.
Once on the card they will show up normally in the Palm launcher. (Some
programs, such as those that use alarms, can't run from the card.) I always keep
programs such as FileZ on the card so that they will be available to any Palm I
plug the card into.
July 21, 2005 11:53:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

> >However, there are unknown files (such as 0671721321.m..).
> >I am unsure to delete such files. How can I know?
>
> It is probably used by a program on your Palm. You could try checking the
> creator. Hit the little icon next to 'size' in Filez and select "creator" and
> check the creator ID of that file. Then switch to main memory and see if you can
> find the program with that same creator ID.
>
> You can run FileZ and SiEd (and many other programs) directly from the card. But
> you have to put them in the folder Palm/Launcher or the Palm won't see them.
> Once on the card they will show up normally in the Palm launcher. (Some
> programs, such as those that use alarms, can't run from the card.) I always keep
> programs such as FileZ on the card so that they will be available to any Palm I
> plug the card into.

Ok, thanks, I'll get a card reader soon! Can I install FileZ in both
card and Palm?Meanwhile, under FileZ the unknown files have no record
under creator, type, rec count, attributes, create date, mod date,
backup date. Only under size do they appear: 216b. Any idea what *.mbp
files, READER.DAT, LAUNCHER.DAT, VOLUME.NAM are? Is it safe to delete
them? Thanks!
!