45nm CPU and i915 chipset

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hey guys I am looking to upgrade my processor (nothing too powerful, but my P4 is getting old) but the first thing i need to know is if my equally old granstdale-G i915 motherboard chipset can support the 45nm chips. I should probably know this but i can't find it anywhere, oh well, help would be great. Thanks guys!

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have no name for my motherboard, and i cannot find it ANYWHERE, nothing online or on internal monitoring programs like Everest, so i haven't been able to check the list of supported CPUs. the only think i can find out is the chipset, my PC was bought four years ago (i didn't build it), it's a gateway 504GR...which could be the name of the motherboard--504GR.

yeah no, even pentium d's arnt supported on even gigabyte and asus 915 motherboards 99.99999999999% of the time and especially not supported on OEM motherboards with "locked down" bios's etc

anyhow - look for lables between the pci slots, or use CPUZ to ID the board etc, my guess it could be MSI - look for the MS-xxxx code perhaps, or could be a focxonn (all sorts of labels etc).....

reignsupreme11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
thanks a lot, guys, theres no chance of this thing even supporting a dual core processor then...i didn't think there was but i could hope, especially since a lot of the new games are enhanced for multi core, or require a 3.2 Pentium D. Guess I'm doing a full reworking, mobo and everything. I'l probably be posting about that in a few days; thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS