Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multiple IDE drives on a new Mobo?

Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2010 2:09:57 AM

I don't have my new parts yet, but I do have 2 IDE drives and I'm wondering if using more than one will be at all feasible given the single Pata connection along with having a DVD drive. I imagine I'd need some kind of adapter? if so does anyone know of any recommendable ones?
or should I grab a new DVD drive after all (my current beige one will look stupid anyway) and get a SATA one.. if i did that could I use the pata for two hard drives?
i will be using this motherboard

Best solution

a c 85 G Storage
June 3, 2010 2:39:43 AM

Skip the adapter and get a new SATA DVD-RW. I am a big fan of Samsung and Plextor SATA DVD-RWs. Never had a single problem with either brand over many years of use. Bottom line, in the long run, you'll be happier and won't have to worry about any possible compatibility issues with the adapter. Probably be cheaper to go this route as well. Good luck!
June 3, 2010 2:47:08 AM

Best answer selected by cutcopypaste.
Related resources
June 3, 2010 2:48:11 AM

COLGeek said:
Skip the adapter and get a new SATA DVD-RW. I am a big fan of Samsung and Plextor SATA DVD-RWs. Never had a single problem with either brand over many years of use. Bottom line, in the long run, you'll be happier and won't have to worry about any possible compatibility issues with the adapter. Probably be cheaper to go this route as well. Good luck!

cool thanks a lot! I ran into the idea of a SATA DVD drive on my own, and seems like the way to go. I wasn't going to upgrade my DVD drive and just use one I had, but it is a pretty old one and could use some uptodatifying
a c 329 G Storage
June 3, 2010 3:00:27 AM

Any IDE can use ONE or TWO devices on the port as long as you have a standard ribbon cable with connectors for them. NEVER more that two per port / cable, however. Older machines could use up to 4 IDE devices because they had two IDE ports on the mobos. In today's world nobody should add IDE ports via a PCI controller add-on card. Just use the SATA ports you have, or add a SATA card in a PCI slot if necessary.
!