Problems with a Kingwin EZ Dock 2535

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi guys, I bought a Kingwin EZ-Dock 2535 docking station at a local Microcenter on sale. The gizmo comes with nothing to help you set it up. No driver disc, nor instructions. I've tried to connect it to two PC's, one with Vista, and another with Windows 7-64, but niether time has the unit been visible. I'm using a Hard Drive that I just bought as well. Do I need to do something to the drive first, before I can use it? If not, what am I doing wrong with this docking station? All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
If its a new blank HD, you do have to format it and create a partition before you can use it for anything. On Win XP Pro right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop. Select Manage | Disk Management. You will see the drive as a visible but empty device. Then I think you right-click on it and select Format (just a quick one is enough). Should be easy from there. If not, Google on "preparing new HD" for your version of Windows. Note that you can also change drive letters here.

CR125Elsinore

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Had the same issue.
Using Windows 7.
Windows Explorer did not recognize the drive.

I went on KingWin web site for a phone number to tech support.
The tech (very patient, competent, etc.) talked me through the procedure in a couple minutes.
Basically, the drive needed to be formatted (even though it was recognized in the device manager as a WD 640 AAKS drive.)

As I recall.....

Click Start button
right click Computer
Click Manage
Left side of screen under Storage, click Disk Management
The hard drive in the EZ Dock 2535 should now show up in the main screen as disk 1, 2, or 3 depending how many drives you have.
It will also have a black bar above it.
My main internal hard drive (C:\) had a blue bar above it and was labeled as disk 0.

Now place the cursor in the box with the black bar above it (i.e. disk 1 or 2, etc.). its the box containing the hard drive in your EZ Dock.
Right click and select "Add simple drive"
As I recall, I just clicked "Next" on all the boxes that showed up after that (size of drive, drive label, format type, etc.) until clicking "Finish".

This is all from memory so I hope it helps..

Prince_ghost

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hey, guys. I've had the Same issue.
Using Window 7 Starter

I tried following your instructions, but, after I went to 'Disk Management' under 'Storage,' the hard drive plugged in to the EZ-connect wasn't listed. I've looked and looked, but I can't seem to find any drivers for the thing.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

scottwhiddon

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I also bought the kingwin 2535. when i plug the 2.5 hdd into the usb port witht he 2535, the 2535 blue light came on, the drive started humming along, but the computer does nothing... no blip saying new hardware has been detected or anything like that. any suggestions?

drjsparker

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Make sure the USB cable is firmly seated into the Kingwin EZ Connect box. It took me going thru a couple of hours of trouleshooting steps to realize (by chance) that I didn't push the cable in all of the way.... You'll hear it click when it is fully seated.