Intel must be sleepless these days

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
we are aware that intel has a gpu up in its sleeves, the larrabee. they even declared the GPU dead. but i bet intel wet its pants when they saw the 4870x2 xfire more than nvidia did. and probably soiled their pants more with the 295's in SLI.

and assuming they have a 2010/11 release date, is it even remotely possibly for intel to topple nor even get close with those 2 pixel crunching beasts?

heard any new news about this intel experiment?

no need to be factual, any form of opinion will do.

foste

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Any corporation's moto is "There's no money in feeding ego"

Intel is going to invest the minimum capital for the maximum profit. Unless this niche you mention represents a large percentage of the market segment intel is going to ignore it.

They won't be soiling their pants. They won't care. Also Intel unlike nvidia doesn't need a GPU to survive, it's a "nice to have".

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
most people who buy box deals at BB or Walmart to have something to play their flash based games and check email don't care hence Intel doesn't care. they will gladly facilitate the expansion slot but you are getting their IGP in most cases so they really aren't too concerned i would imagine.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Yup! Intel is after the yahoos that don't have $500+ to spend on just the video card(s). Of course, it will probably be slower than an ATI HD 4670. :na:

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
What does Intel care about ATI and Nvidia producing killer video cards? Intel produces the killer CPU's, Chipsets, and even the Motherboards those video card companies use to produce the frame rates to satisfy the end users. If Intel decides to manufacture a killer GPU, ( it already does have some very good on-board products), I'd have no doubt they would. Intel could snap up Nvidia tomorrow, towering even larger than ATI/AMD would EVER be...

Id go easy on Intels igps, as theyre pretty much known as to be a joke around here, since this isnt average Joe who buys them, nor even if they had one, wouldnt consider using it. Intels igps is just like Intels netbook mindset, keep it for number crunching/minimal only, and the question here is, will Intel ever take gfx seriously? Thats the true question

BattleField 3 is supposed to fully support LRB, rumor has it.
Also "Friday Pat Gelsinger talked about how serious Intel is about the Larrabee hardware project and what the long-term goals are. And then Elliot Garbus talked about the Larrabee software side and what Intel is doing to support Larrabee and developers who adopt it.

Doug Carmean, Intel Fellow and Larrabee Chief Architect, had a breakout session where he talked about the hardware architecture, with more details on the hardware than we gave out at SIGGRAPH 2008; since this was an RS-NDA event.

Steve Junkins, Principal Engineer and Larrabee Software Architect, had a breakout session where he talked about the hybrid and native software programming model to give attendees a feel for developing on Larrabee.

And the Project Offset team gave the last session of the show with a discussion about what the Offset engine is doing with Larrabee and a demo. Offset should be the perfect showcase title for Larrabee."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=51326

This infos been out for awhile, and NDA is on big time here, this isnt like their cpu,s , where they lead, and "leaks" are good for them, as true and real competition is ahead for Intel here. Look for a lil more info after IDF in April, but dont get your hopes up, as Im thinking Intel doesnt want anything out on this, as it makes it a obvious target

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
cant we get an official? wheres the intel ad/Pr warmachine when you need one? grrrrrr..

so if BF3 actually did support LRB. its gonna go ray-traced?

i have hunch that this LRB project may become a vaporware lol.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Intel would have regulatory issues buying Nvidia. Regulators don't care IGP vs. discrete, but they do care about market share. Nvidia's also healthy enough that any buyout would have to be hostile. I know, Intel fans have wanted Intel to buy Nvidia for some time, but Intel's not going that route.

As for chipsets, Intel makes good Intel CPU chipsets. They don't make the best chipsets. Right now, AMD makes the best chipsets building upon ATI's chipset division. The 880G is arriving soon and it will make Phenom II's more appealing to the masses with a Radeon 4xxx series IGP.

When my 3870x2 died on me and had to be replaced, I used my 780G's HD3200 IGP for a month and it actually does a good job of medium-high settings in Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria. Intel IGP's might get low-medium with lesser framerates.

Both AMD and Nvidia care about IGP's as well as discrete. Intel does IGP's because business PC OEM's like Dell always wanted a solution to maximize their profit so they don't have to buy discrete GPU's for business boxes.

Will Larrabee end up competing against AMD and Nvidia? We'll see. I won't dismiss Intel here but I won't get on the bandwagon either.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

why would you buy a new gpu to play flash games? You cna just use onbaord video and an old computer for that.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

I wouldnt call them yahoos, Id call them smart. Btw if you got so much cash to throw around cant you give me a little paypal donation for a new mobo/cpu? Cirolak@yahoo.com pretty please!!

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I'd have to at least partially agree with you on the ATI/AMD chipsets. At least when considering IGP chipsets the ATI/AMD versions have been shown to have consistently better performance and significantly less power consumption than their Intel equivalents (also slightly better than Nvidia IGP chipsets). Although I doubt we will ever see it, I'd be interested to see what would happen AMD/ATI were to release an IGP chipset for the upcoming Intel processors (Core i5, etc.). Since ATI/AMD IGP chipsets are cheaper, better performing, and less power hungry than the current Intel chipsets you would have to think that most OEM's would favor their use on all systems. Again, I doubt it will happen, but I'd say that this would be a great way for AMD to generate some revenue even if they are losing the processor battle.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Considering that Intel has been hyping Larrabee as a product that will change the landscape of the GPU market I would say that there is a 0% chance of it being cheap.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
maybe intel will learn a thing or two from sony, sony released the ps3 and also hyped it as the next best thing at only 600 bucks when blue ray players cost a grand alone.