I know there are differing opinions about airflow but...

thelastpriest

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I have an antec 300 that I added two 120mm fans to last night, instantly the cpu at idle went from 32-35c to 40-45c so I am thinking I have some very staggered airflow going on inside that case. My question is what are the recommended speeds to be running these things at and what position should they be in? Right now I have one 120mm intake in the front, one 120mm intake in the side panel and then of course the two exhaust fans 120mm and 140mm in the rear and top respectively. Both built in case fans are set to high and the two new ones I am working on dialing down but are at about 2k rpm. Also what is everyone's opinion of running the cpu fan at full speed all the time and cutting out all this variable stuff? Personally the noise doesnt bother me, but the idea of letting some small sensor somewhere on the mobo decide how much air is expelled does, call me a control freak. Thanks ahead of time for any recommendations

Chris

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

The fan configuration you described is the classic bottom front to top rear. The idea is to create a wind tunnel effect. Typical stock pc fans run at about 1200 rpm or so. The new fans at 2,000 rpm are way too high. Throttle them down to 1200 and see what happens. What about your cpu heatsink fan?

Is there anything blocking the airflow? Cables all over the place? Anything else in the way?

thelastpriest

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Alright, so I figured it out, while waiting at the pharmacy for my Norco and Morphine to be filled I was researching on wikipedia about fan and airflow control on my phone then the email notifying me of your post popped up, between the two I realized that all the fan on the side is going to do is cause a vortex dead center of the case and distort any airflow trying to smooth its way through. Also when I was pushing the 32c idle I was running the cpu fan flat out. When I put the new case fans in last night I changed it to variable. So I repositioned both fans to the front, turned the cpu fan back up and now we are idling at 29c! I tell ya, messing wtih the computer trying to get good numbers is more fun then the games I am supposed to be playing with it when I get those good numbers. Now, time to start researching how to push this 7750 BE to 3.0Ghz instead of the 2.7Ghz it is running now. I had intended to get a 3Ghz processor but for some reason this 7750 BE looked better, partly because of the lower price but I think it was the AM2+ socket for when I jump to a phenom x4 3Ghz in a few months.

Thank you Johnny, you have come to my intellectual rescue at least twice now

TRENDING THREADS