Core i7 920 or C2D E8400?

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I like to multitask a lot and recently it's becoming quite a burden to my current rig, so I plan to get a new processor. I also occasionally play games like Bioshock and Dead Space, preferably at high with playable fps, which requires a more decent GPU. I'll reuse my 15in 1024x768 monitor, HDD and optical drive as well as the basic peripherals.

Here's my current rig:
Pentium 4 3GHz
1 GB RAM
8400 GS

For the new build, I'm thinking:
Core 2 Duo E8400 or Core i7 920 ($170 or $300)
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM ($40)
8800 GT ($130)
Case + PSU ($100)

What's troubling me is the motherboard socket. If I go for C2D, I'd need a 775 socket, otherwise I'll need a board with socket 1366, which doubles in price and requires me to use DDR3 RAM, boosting the price further. Moreover, I may need a more powerful PSU (are the built-in heatsinks any good?) since 920 consumes more power.

Either jump is quite huge, but in the long run, 920 is definitely more lasting. On the other hand, E8400 is at least $300 more pocket friendly. What do you guys recommend?

abigsmurf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
From what I gather, Core i7's, although they offer a big performance increase, aren't great on the bank per buck ratio at the moment. Could be worthwhile waiting for DDR3 and i7 motherboards to come down a bit in price but, then again, with PCs, there's always something better/cheaper just around the corner...

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I would get 4 GB of RAM and a better PSU, as the one coming with the case almost surely is crap. I recommend a Corsair VX550 for your system. And if you want to have SLI in the future get the 650W one.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
As editing doesn't work I'll complete my message here:
RAM is almost as important as the CPU for multitasking, and 2 GB is not enough for today's games and applications.

royalcrown

Distinguished
go for the e8400, and as someone that uses vista now...2 gigs is not enough if you like smooth tabbing and a responsive system, go for 4 gigs ! I just added 2 gigs last Tuesday to bring it to 4 and the difference in multitasking is night and day. It used to lag a bit while my drive was on, but now the drive is on less and no lag at all, and i usually DL, and have a few things up while gaming on a 22 inch monitor at max detail on vista 64. No my drive isn't slow either, wd640 aaks.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'd say neither, get a Q9300 and OC it (very mildly) to around 3 GHz, this way you'll get multitasking galore (4 cores oposed to the 2 the E8400 offers), good speed (equals the E8400) and you don't need to get the uber-expensive DDR3 or a new X58 mobo (which is quite expensive too)

If you are really willing to OC, I'd go with a Q8200, again 4 cores instead of 2, almost the same price the E8400 is (189 on newegg) and you can add those extra bucks to a beefier VGA and a bigger screen (something like an HD4850 and a 19" screen would be a lot (can't stress that enough) than your current 15" and 8400 GS

If you're NOT willing to OC, then I'd say E8400 instead of i7 just due to price.

And remember, OCing is quite easy, just read the sticky, google a little and you are all set.

EDIT: Forgot 2 things, whatever your choice is, go for 4 GB of RAM, 2 GB will be barely enough and sometimes you'll experience some lag and stuttering due to HD latencys.

Also, everytime you run a processor at stock speeds God kills a kitten, please think of the kittens
cute_kitten.p.jpg

royalcrown

Distinguished

Sweet, one more dead kitten for the garbage can then ! <----------

In a related note, overclocking causes cancer of the e-peen...news at 9.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Actually, I jest...I better not let my cat read that, or Randomiser for that matter !

I gotta agree with you on the 4 gigs, and for god sake op, like the man said, ditch that monitor, even a 17 inch LCD is 99 bucks for gods sake !

royalcrown

Distinguished
I agree with the Q8200 or 9300. You'll save a ton of cash on the mobo. DDR2-800 is cheaper than air and you can use the saving on the mobo and ram to buy yourself a nice 22" monitor for as cheap as $159 after rebate. Pick up a HD4850 and your in business.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Dec-0-2008/Pickseason/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121208&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121208-_-email-_-E0-_-PromoWord&cm_lm=shady1973@verizon.net

You also need 4gb of ram. I picked up 4gb of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 for $15 after rebate just a few days ago. Check Neweggs email promotions (sign up)

I bought that exact monitor last tuesday and it works great !

DSCI0036.jpg

I know, new speakers ! BLACK of course !

royalcrown

Distinguished
Wow, I think the monitor speakers would be better than those sorry excuses for speakers. I've seen better ones at a garage sale for a buck. hehe

You'd think so, but I got those speakers for 5 bucks and they happen to come with an 8 inch sub that you can't see, so you'd be way off on the suck part !

Labtec could make **** that would stomp logitech, I wish they made speakers now !
still must buy new black ones....

royalcrown

Distinguished
well you never heard the labtec sb-8 then. Plus us old people like our AM ...lol

it's actually a big, heavy a$$ sub, cost me 5 bucks to buy and shipping was 20 and my ex said wtf because we did not know it had a sub...lol, I was surprised as hell upon getting it.

royalcrown

Distinguished
I never heard any labtec that sounded better than the cheaperst 2.1 logitech system. Had your hearing checked lately? :cry:

Next time you take a pic to show someone your pretty new monitor, remove the speakers first, they ruined the picture. I still cant get it out of my mind. :lol:

PS: Dont forget to take the plastic protector off thats taped to the screen. :heink:

So did the white printer fax scanner..lol, why was white the color back in the day...eew. Oh NO, the tape and plastic has to stay on, it's a NERD screen and that screen cover is it's glasses !

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
First, replace that monitor. Get a 22 inch LCD widescreen. If you still have $$$, then build a P45 based system with a Q9450 or E8400 and use 4 MB DDR-800 RAM. It is not necessary to overclock, however, you will have that flexiblity if you are inclined to do so. When it is all together you wont be sorry. Lastly, stay away from Core I7 until June 2009 when prices will come down and the bugs have been worked out by others.

For multitasking, and I assume cpu heavy multitasking, you are best served by a quad and at least 4gb.

From your budget, I think you are out of the i7 range.
Look for a quad like the Q9300 2.5 @$239. I like the 45nm parts better. They are a bit faster, and run cooler than the 65nm parts.
You can get 4gb(2x2gb) kits of ddr2-800 ram from corsair for $25 a/r.
A basic P45 mobo from Asus or Gigabyte will be <$100.
Antec 300 case for $50.
PC P&C silencer610 psu for $60 a/r. A great deal on a first tier psu.

The i7 is heads and shoulders ahead of the Q9300. It's clock is 2.66, and is 10% faster, clock for clock. With hyperthreading, it has the appearance of 8 cores which is great for multitasking. Overclocking to 3.3 is trivial. The price is not much more at $300.
The catch is that a X58 motherboard starts at $220-$300. 6gb of DDR3 will be $160. If the extra $300 or so can be managed, you will not be disappointed.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well, I've just returned from my doc's office and there was no sign of e-peen cancer (lucky me) and put together this (keeping money in mind)
Q8200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115055
Gigabyte P35 mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
HD4850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131125
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184 (25 bucks after MIR ftw)
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009 (99 bucks will last through at least 3 builds)
Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 (you won't need anything fancier than this for a mild OC)

The total price should come at about: 420 bucks (and you get supreme commander for free), add the monitor already suggested above and the grand total would come up to $580

That would net you a great gaming machine, on the other hand, an i7 920, 3 GB of ram and the cheapest X58 mobo would go for around $650 (no VGA or monitor)

PS: The suggestions I just tosedd are suggestions, I really recommend you do some research especially in the motherboard area.

You might also want a new hard drive, I suggest the WD6400AAKS, it costs just $70 and it's a great drive.

PS2: To the other posters, don't bash me about my component choices, it's just a quick dirty setup to compare prices and nothing more.