No fps change when ocing

knifeking

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
why when i overclock my asus gtx 260 from 576/1242/999 to 725 /1462/1300 can i see no change in fps in hawx benmarking its stays at 167 max 59 average? please help

IF changing the GPU speed has no effect on the FPS then the most likely cause is a bottleneck elsewhere !! (ie. your CPU, Memory,HDD) the GPU can only operate as fast as it is given info to process so a slowdown elsewhere will cause it to wait for the info it needs. and if the speed does not change with the OC then that means it is already not being used to capacity so the extra speed is just adding extra idle time not performance.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Overclocking your CPU will net you FPS benefits. While C2Qs are great CPUs, they gains significant performance from being overclocked. Doing this without a proper HSF will be limited by heat.

knifeking

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
i have a crappy mobo a msi g31 class so wich motherboards whould you recommend from budget to the more high end.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
This means you have a bottleneck in your computer. When you overclock your Graphics Processing Unit, that like changing to a faster car. However if the road still only lets you drive the same speed, you car can't go faster. So your Central Processing Unit, your Random Access Memory, or perhaps something else is bottlenecking you.

That Asrock is junk you need a P45 chipset to get full potential out of that CPU that AsRock is way overpriced because it has DDR3 RAM which isnt even really supported by Core 2 processors and gains you nothing really in performance over DDR2 RAM.

If you were to get a new motherboard so you could overclock you want to look for a motherboard with a P45 chipset like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131347

IMO I would just stick with what you got if you can get a lil overclock out of it good if not save up for a new platform.

You want a Core 2 quad Q8200 and an Asus P5Q se2 plus mobo. The Q8200 runs stable at 3.2 ghz no problem and is very stable I would be willing to let it go fairly cheap PM for ore info.