Sign in with
Your question

1066mhz ram running at 800mhz?

Last response: in Memory
April 23, 2009 2:45:33 PM

Hi I'm running 2x 1gb kingston hyper x pc2-8500 ram on a ASUS p5kc.
This should clock at 1066mhz yet when i check with cpu z it tells me i only have pc2-6400 ram, this is definatly not the case, it says it is running at 400mhz or 800mhz taking ddr into acoount. how do i get it to run at 533mhz ie 1066mhz?

there is definatly no defect, just tried them in a mates pc running a gigabyte board, 1066mhz just fine, no bios changes needed.
34 minutes ago

ok, so Ram runs fine at 1066mhz on mates pc. my stock fsb is 333mhz running a 9x multiplier. (e8400).
so went into bios and set dram ram speed to manuel ddr2-1066mhz, rebooted and whole machine crashed and burned. is this an ASUS p5kc specific problem, this very same mb had some crucial ballisticks of the same specs die on it, i dont overclock so i shouldnt be burning the ram out. i pushed the voltage up to 2.1v this did not stabilise it, tried the black ram slots with same bad result. put everthing on auto and now its running again but at 800mhz.

really stuck on this.
help would be appreciated.
April 23, 2009 6:19:04 PM

Apart from upping the voltage did you change timings too? If the mobo sets the default timings for ddr2 800, when you up the speed to 1066 the timings most likely need to be relaxed. Set them to values printed on sticks/packaging. It should work, but generally if you google it you will see that problems with running 1066 memory on P5KC are not uncommon.
April 24, 2009 1:35:21 AM

hi MadMagik

yea i went through and changed all timings voltages speeds to what the pakaging said, it crashed right away, googling it finds the same problem with basically every case of mixing 1066mhz ram with the p5kc, youd think that ASUS would have done something about this as its becoming obvious the p5kc doesnt run 1066mhz ram at 1066mhz in every case i have found no matter how its clocked or what the voltages are. The box advertises 1066mhz ram all over it. Dont think im buying ASUS again.
Related resources
April 24, 2009 5:57:27 AM

i have a asus m3n78-vm and went through the same problems. i had ocz fatality 4gb dual channel ram. mobo said 800mhz. i manually set timing to the specified settings on the ram and within an hour i had blue screened. fried one stick and the other one would only boot if i set it back to 800. something fishy is going on with asus boards these days. :non: 
a b } Memory
April 24, 2009 7:19:14 AM

have you checked asus website to see if yoour brand is on the compatibility list?
a b } Memory
April 24, 2009 12:11:51 PM

I don't know what to tell you guys about your ASUS boards, I have never been impressed with ASUS prducts in the first place, but I can tell you there is virtually no speed difference in running 800mhz ram or 1066mhz ram. Especially on a system with an Intel processor. In fact, good 800mhz memory with tight timings is going to give you better results than 1066 memory with loose timings.
April 24, 2009 12:57:05 PM

I on the other hand have never had any serious problems with Asus bord, and I used many different ones over the years. But then again, i build "normal" PCs for myself and customers and usually dont use enthusiast parts in them. Following the same logic that jitpublisher mentioned(no gains in terms of performance over good quality ddr2 800) i dont see the point of stressing mobo with additional voltage required to run these modules, when you get virtually nothing in return apart from heat. I also dislike "hybrid" solutions(support for both ddr2 and ddr3) and generally stay away from them.

BTW: is the memory you have on the QVL for this board? What board does your mate have?

And you might try that just for the sake of it: keep the 1066 freq, but relax the timings by 1 and try lowering the voltage. Up the NB voltage a bit too.
April 24, 2009 11:29:56 PM

i relaxed the timings hugely to 8-8-8-18 vs the default 5-5-5-15 with no progress. so i'm giving up trying to run these at 1066mhz.

Friends board is a GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3P and runs all default timings speeds ect no problem. Why is it that you dilike hybrids? that was the main reason i brought this board, the idea of fast timings with value ddr2 ram with the ability to upgrade to ddr3 when it becomes more mainstream really attracted me, i think i may stay away from them in future though, aim for do 1 thing and do it right.

That is very interesting that your ASUS MB killed your ram, i may have mentioned it but these sticks are replacements for 2x 1gb 1066mhz crucial ballisticks which bummed out without being Over Clocked.

I have 2 gb of old generic 800mhz ram sitting round it has the same timings as my kingston stuff and when i switch it and run benchmarks the whole machine slows right down? windows vista benchmark went from a 5.9 with the kingstons to a 4.8 with the generic 800mhz, is it possible that the kingston is indeed running at 1066mhz yet the mb is just reporting speeds wrong? so that when we try running it at 1066mhz manually were actually ocing it to like 1300mhz hence burning ram out???

yes i checked all compatibility lists, its definatly 'compatiable', the boards box has 1066mhz compatability written on it aswell.

April 25, 2009 12:03:45 AM

"Performance

The big question surrounding boards such as the P5KC is whether the core logic chipset has been compromised to achieve the extra memory compatibility. After all, one of the memory controllers in the P35 was always intended to be shut down.

The first set of benchmark results was poor, especially in the multitasking test. We updated the BIOS to revision 0701 (11 July), which boosted the scores considerably. The multitasking score leapt from 796 to 869, while the other tests resulted in the near-1,000 score we'd expect from a DDR2 P35 at stock speeds with our standard test kit. Clearly, Asus is still getting to grips with a combo P35, so performance may improve with later revisions.

A future BIOS revision should also address the memory glitches we suffered, as the P5KC was a terror when trying to run memory at high frequencies. We had to use the Auto setting with both DDR2 and DDR3, as trying to use the 1,066MHz of our Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500 - or even the 1,333MHz setting we tried with the Patriot PC3-15000 (1,866MHz) - made the system hang at POST. On one occasion, we had to use Vista's excellent MBR repairer, as the memory controller messed up the boot procedure. Stock tests therefore had to be conducted with the DDR2 at 800MHz and the DDR3 at 1,066MHz."

http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/125932/asus-p5kc.html

seems as if this board is not compatiable with 1066mhz ram at all, ASUS has been false advertising, think im buying gigabyte form now on.
April 25, 2009 2:40:34 AM

Why i dislike hybrid solutions? Because I dont believe in proper support for two different standards, id rather have one working well than two half baked. Im sorry to say this but you fell in the advertising trap, because just as 1066 ram wouldnt make much difference on that platform over ddr2 800, ddr3 wouldnt make one either.

Your friends board is very good upper-mainstream board and im not supprised that it runs this ram without a hitch. Yours? Well, it is not.

Another idea - since your kinston sticks are quality modules im pretty sure they could run at 800mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings, which would bring the theoretical performance close to that of 1066 at 5-5-5-15. Not that you would notice the difference anyway. I understand your frustration but believe me, your not loosing by running them at 800, even if you dont tighten the timings.

As for vista score, my ddr2 800 Corsairs xms2 2x1gb at 5-5-5-15 score 5.9 too.

BTW: Do you have the latest BIOS? And whats the voltage specified for these modules?
April 26, 2009 3:02:25 AM

I retrospectivly totally agree with you there MaDMagik, although I think its just not my model board failing, do an internet search and youll see that plenty of ASUS boards arent running there ram at speed, someone just posted here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259114-30-1066-memory & http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253923-30-1066 , the list gos on) with what appears to be the same problem, this time with a p5Q... ASUS is very fishy.

Your right about me probably not noticing the difference between 800mhz and 1066mhz, I'm perfectly happy with the speed of my system(it flys) as it is. Its just when you pay for a board that states it supports 1066mhz ram, IT SHOULD SUPPORT 1066mhz RAM. I think there may be alot more cases of this problem out there but people either dont realise or realising how little performance difference it makes dont bother to post/report this problem. This leaves me looking for an explanation of why my crucial ballistks lasted all of 4 months before they became unusable.

No i dont have the latest BIOS, however there is only 1 update avaliable and this claims only to add processor compatiabilty , the last BIOs update to improve capability was several back so therefore i should have it.

I got this from the product's info page:

Kingston's KHX8500D2K2/2G is a kit of two 128M x 64-bit 1GB (1024MB) DDR2-1066 CL5 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on sixteen 64M x 8-bit DDR2 FBGA components per module. Total kit capacity is 2GB (2048MB). Each module pair has been tested to run at DDR2- 1066MHz at a latency timing of 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V. Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.8V.

So if I upped the operating voltage to 2.2V and the frequency to 1066 in the BIOS, I'd see a change...?

Is this ram 1066mhz by default?
April 27, 2009 12:14:06 AM

I have an Asus P5N-D, and it did not support 1066mhz initially, upon further BIOS updates, it now supports 1066mhz ram. During my research, as to why it did not run 1066mhz ram, the BIOS was limited, it turns out most 1066 ram likes tRFC of 55 or higher. My previous BIOS, tRFC could only get to 45 or so, but now it can go as high manually as 65.

Check your memory timings in the BIOS and see how far tRFC can go.
April 27, 2009 10:01:25 PM

"I retrospectivly totally agree with you there MaDMagik, although I think its just not my model board failing, do an internet search and youll see that plenty of ASUS boards arent running there ram at speed, someone just posted here (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259114-30-1066-memory & http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253923-30-1066 , the list gos on) with what appears to be the same problem, this time with a p5Q... ASUS is very fishy"
If you do a research on the memory compatibility in general, you will see that its not an just Asus-related problem

"This leaves me looking for an explanation of why my crucial ballistks lasted all of 4 months before they became unusable."
Sometimes memory dies, nothing can be done about that. Most have lifetime warranty. Not a single crucial module is on your QVL

"No i dont have the latest BIOS, however there is only 1 update avaliable and this claims only to add processor compatiabilty , the last BIOs update to improve capability was several back so therefore i should have it."
Should, but DO YOU HAVE IT?

...Kingston's KHX8500D2K2/2G
Its not on the QVL, as a matter of fact the only Kingston ddr2 module on the qvl is a ddr2-1200

"So if I upped the operating voltage to 2.2V and the frequency to 1066 in the BIOS, I'd see a change...?"
Havent you tried that already?

"Is this ram 1066mhz by default?"
No, its SPD is set to 800 @ 1.8v

I would be nice if everything worked as you think it should. Unfortunately these days theres an awful load of FINE PRINT relating to practicaly everything, so its best if you ask on forums about certain configuration before you buy anything.

P.S. No, i dont work for Asus ;]
April 28, 2009 9:44:51 AM

Thanks for the advice Mad, guess i got sucked into marketing, when you see big flashy ddr2 1066mhz compatibiltiy symbols all over the boards boxes and websites you usually assume that 1066mhz ram will work.

"No i dont have the latest BIOS, however there is only 1 update avaliable and this claims only to add processor compatiabilty , the last BIOs update to improve capability was several back so therefore i should have it."
Should, but DO YOU HAVE IT? "

I have version 1105, this is the second to last update. Therefore it should include the memory update that was several updates before this version right?
April 28, 2009 5:27:37 PM

nutrigironman said:
I have version 1105, this is the second to last update. Therefore it should include the memory update that was several updates before this version right?
I would assume the same.

But as I suggested earlier, try running those sticks at 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings. Your mobo will love them at 1.8 or 1.9v. And have look here http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160 The first table will show you that 800mhz CL4 is exactly as fast as 1000mhz CL5
!