I5 750 temps not looking good

These were measured usng coretemp and realtemp and prime 95,ambient temperature is 30c.Idle temperature 40c and load temperature between 77 and 78c.I'm using the stock intel heatsink.Do these look too high and potentially harmful?If I'm not oc'ing or just slightly to 3.2-3.4 ghz would a hyper tx3 or a thermaltake contac 29 be capable of handling the heat?I'd like to keep the temps below 70c if possible.If I need to reapply tim I'll just get a new cooler too.
34 answers Last reply
More about temps good
  1. the load temps are a bit high. Definitely no OCing without a new cooler. Also, be sure case airflow is good and cable management is at least airflow good.
  2. You might read many posts here on what is a good cooler. never heard of those two coolers recommended, so they probably aren't any good.

    Go to Frostytech for heatsink reviews, good site.
  3. BeCoolBro said:
    These were measured usng coretemp and realtemp and prime 95,ambient temperature is 30c.Idle temperature 40c and load temperature between 77 and 78c.I'm using the stock intel heatsink.Do these look too high and potentially harmful?If I'm not oc'ing or just slightly to 3.2-3.4 ghz would a hyper tx3 or a thermaltake contac 29 be capable of handling the heat?I'd like to keep the temps below 70c if possible.If I need to reapply tim I'll just get a new cooler too.

    Yes I do agree about the temps being too high for a stock Intel heatsink and I don't think you should even use such a cheap heatsink in the first place.
    You might want to look into what heatsink is the best for low temp and price value as well. Not sure how much you would like to spend on a heatsink. read the ratings and spec to see if the heatsink is what you are looking for.
    Good luck on your search. P.S fresh thermal grease will be best as well, TX-4 or Arctic Silver 5 or OCZ
  4. Those temps are high, probably need to remount it. Possibly do some lapping. My CPU was not flat so I also had really high temps initially.
  5. I would definitely look into remounting the stock cooler. I had the same issue, almost roughly the same temps until I took a second look at the mount. I wiggled it a little bit and realized it wasn't seated properly as it moved around slightly. Remove it, reapply some thermal grease and push the pins all the way in. I subsequently have replaced the stock cooler with a coolermaster hyper 212 plus and it's made a gigantic differece. I don't dig the pushpins, and the stock cooler felt too cheap. I'd recommend this, especially if you're going to do just a mild overclock.
  6. I never liked the idea of pushpins either. I prefer good ole screws and brackets.
  7. Conumdrum said:

    Go to Frostytech for heatsink reviews, good site.


    Im not trying to Ruffle any Feathers but I was suggesting this Website a while ago to some other people and i was reprimanded Because there Test results aren't Accurate (Because they use a generic TIM)

    Otherwise i agree with you Here's A link To their top 10

    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

    And here's My personal top 5 (Still working on the layout [sorry])

    Good Luck!:D
  8. Keep suggesting it. The site is very scientific in its methods and is trying to rate the coolers, not the paste. That said, whenever someone is doing research, they should always consult several sites to eliminate any possible bias.
  9. fisshy said:
    Im not trying to Ruffle any Feathers but I was suggesting this Website a while ago to some other people and i was reprimanded Because there Test results aren't Accurate (Because they use a generic TIM)

    Otherwise i agree with you Here's A link To their top 10

    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

    And here's My personal top 5 (Still working on the layout [sorry])

    Good Luck!:D



    Yea, they use the same methods to test every heatsink. TIM makes at most a 2C diff. They are the closest we have to a pure lab setup, and using the same method every time. They are so much better than a hack review that doesn't even recored ambient temps.

    You were just slamed, not given a mark. Someone said your link sucks. It doesn't.

    That said, I'd like to see Frosty move up to a 250 watt heat generator to get a bit more up to date.

    The MOST accurate site is this, but they are only beginning to deal with air cooling. In the advanced WC world, they are king.

    http://www.skinneelabs.com/
  10. @ BeCoolBro

    You Are in pretty good hands here man.
    You Might Want to try re-seating Your cooler instead of buying a new HSF.

    ^this is only adviseable if you don't want to OC

    on the other hand Pick One of the coolers from the Intel Performance Category Top 10 And start saving (A good investment in a good cooler can get you a long way)

    Good Luck :D
  11. I don't have fans on my case and on i5 750 stock cooler my temps on idle is 35-40 - load 100% prime64 66-71C
  12. Misko195 said:
    I don't have fans on my case and on i5 750 stock cooler my temps on idle is 35-40 - load 100% prime64 66-71C


    I would suggest getting some fans for your case. Even though temp at load is for prime, It seems a little high to me. I wouldn't be comfortable running 66-71C under load with my i5.

    Or else get an aftermarket cooler.
  13. thestrangebrew said:
    I would suggest getting some fans for your case. Even though temp at load is for prime, It seems a little high to me. I wouldn't be comfortable running 66-71C under load with my i5.

    Or else get an aftermarket cooler.


    Yes i know, i look for another case and probably CM Hyper TX3. This temps is not high for intel stock cooler. But you'r right, is not confortable when temps reach 65-70C :)
  14. Don't get the tx3.I bought it and the push pins are sh@t.Get a hsf with screws to be safe.
  15. I quit when my temps reach 65-70C. On my i7 920, that happens at about 3.5 GH on Prime95. I have a relly good chiller configuration where the fan on my heatsink blows directly into the exhaust fan on the back of my Cooler Master Scout case.

    There are 4 fans on the case, and most of the time, they run very low and very quiet. When you add fans, think about which way the wind will blow to make sure your fans are workign together and not against each other.

    Low temps are not just needed for overclocking, but will save on energy and extend life of the components.

    Here is a Cooler Master Hyer 212+ link for $20 if you need an aftermarket heat sink:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

    It is, IMHO, the best you can get for the money.

    Good luck.

    E
  16. Sorry to hear about you being burned with the TX3 Thanks for the heads up.

    But as Eloric says , As in value for money the CM Hyper 212+ Is the Best Cooler out there. It doesn't rate too badly performance wise either... just make sure to read up on how to apply the TIM correctly! If it is applied wrong temps will be pitiful!

    Good Luck :D
  17. BeCoolBro said:
    Don't get the tx3.I bought it and the push pins are sh@t.Get a hsf with screws to be safe.


    Why you say that, what you happen with push pins?
  18. eloric said:
    I quit when my temps reach 65-70C. On my i7 920, that happens at about 3.5 GH on Prime95. I have a relly good chiller configuration where the fan on my heatsink blows directly into the exhaust fan on the back of my Cooler Master Scout case.

    There are 4 fans on the case, and most of the time, they run very low and very quiet. When you add fans, think about which way the wind will blow to make sure your fans are workign together and not against each other.

    Low temps are not just needed for overclocking, but will save on energy and extend life of the components.

    Here is a Cooler Master Hyer 212+ link for $20 if you need an aftermarket heat sink:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

    It is, IMHO, the best you can get for the money.

    Good luck.

    E


    this is normal for you'r i7 920 and why you stop go ahead just to see what is you'r temps on prime95. I whit my i5 750 stock cooler on prime95 reach 71C on high core. For i7 920 this is normal and will go more higher, maybe about 80c (with stock cooler) but is not confortable i know :)
  19. Push pins are for stock coolers. Real heatsinks use screws and a backplate for even strong pressure.

    Push pins are cheap to make, and notorious for not seating right, a real pain.
  20. I'll tell you what happened.The push pins don't put much pressure on the tim so I had to spread it by hand.So the firs time I booted my cpu was running at 99c!!!!!Only two cores too.Then I reapplied the stock tim(I ran out of as5) and then all 4 cores worked but again...at fkin 99c!!!!!When I get more tim I'll reapply again, but while I'm waiting does anybody have a suggestion on what to do.Should I just use the stock coole?
  21. BeCoolBro said:
    I'll tell you what happened.The push pins don't put much pressure on the tim so I had to spread it by hand.So the firs time I booted my cpu was running at 99c!!!!!Only two cores too.Then I reapplied the stock tim(I ran out of as5) and then all 4 cores worked but again...at fkin 99c!!!!!When I get more tim I'll reapply again, but while I'm waiting does anybody have a suggestion on what to do.Should I just use the stock coole?


    There is something wrong, with installation proces or somthing else. TX3 is ok cooler, have my friend one and he's i5 750 don't go above 60c. Also push pins look good, i don't know what is wrong with you TX3, but look reviews he's solid cooler.

    -Of course 212+ is a much better but TX3 is enought for i5 750... I look for myself between Hyper 212+ and TX3, so i don't know what to buy.

    And you tell how you'r temps go to 99c with TX3, lol this is much really. I'm with stock cooler on i5 750 and don't go above 71c in Prime95 and after playing about 2h temp is 55-65c depend...
  22. You didn't understand my reply.I told you that the cooler didn't make enough contact with the cpu because the push pins,although they looked fine,hadn't moved fully into the holes.As a result the tim didn't spread causing that amazingly high temperature.The tx3 IS an ok cooler.It's mounting sucks.Anyway,I'm just suggesting something with screws to save you from similar issues. :)
  23. I've heard that pushpins have issues because you really need to push hard and snap them into place, and sometimes it seems like you might break the board you're pushing so hard so you end up not getting them in all the way. If snapped in right they can be ok. Still, screws are infinitely better.


  24. there is just another sample.


    Push pins are notoriously dodgy.
    if it worked for you well then that is great. :??:

    but in 9/10 cases they either don't maintain pressure or just don't bother performing.
    Personally i would only ever suggest a cooler with A screw in System (with back plates are even better)

    Good luck:D
  25. fisshy said:

    but in 9/10 cases they either don't maintain pressure or just don't bother performing.
    Personally i would only ever suggest a cooler with A screw in System (with back plates are even better)

    Good luck:D

    9/10 , where's that evidence ?

    Don't all screw in systems use a backplate ?
  26. ^ i don't have evidence to support that claim but in asking for that are you suggesting that using pushpins is a good idea?

    As far as i know The slightly cheaper ones uses a washer setup instead of backplates :D
  27. Yeah.The zalman cnpsx10 series uses washers.
  28. BeCoolBro said:
    Yeah.The zalman cnpsx10 series uses washers.

    Well, not all of them. My CNPS10X Extreme uses a backplate.
  29. fisshy said:
    ^ i don't have evidence to support that claim but in asking for that are you suggesting that using pushpins is a good idea?

    As far as i know The slightly cheaper ones uses a washer setup instead of backplates :D

    There's nothing wrong with push pins when properly installed.
    My own testing of an I7-860 with stock cooler gave the same 79ºC max temp shown in the pureoverclock test.
    It has nothing to do with a lack of pressure because of pushpins, has everything to do with the fact that Intel decided to use the same miniscule heatsink on a Quadcore w/HT that they used for a C2D E8400

    I've never seen a screw down heatsink that used a washer setup.
  30. I'm sure one one of them,either the flex or quiet use washers.I was searching for them and that was written in the review.
  31. BeCoolBro said:
    You didn't understand my reply.I told you that the cooler didn't make enough contact with the cpu because the push pins,although they looked fine,hadn't moved fully into the holes.As a result the tim didn't spread causing that amazingly high temperature.The tx3 IS an ok cooler.It's mounting sucks.Anyway,I'm just suggesting something with screws to save you from similar issues. :)


    Ok then tell me how temps on my friend with TX3 Cooler is about 60c on i5 750. And my stock cooler with push pins make a good contact (good for one stock cooler) and don't go above 71c?

    To go temps 99c, must be something wrong with cooler or installation proces...
  32. Misko195 said:
    Ok then tell me how temps on my friend with TX3 Cooler is about 60c on i5 750. And my stock cooler with push pins make a good contact (good for one stock cooler) and don't go above 71c?

    To go temps 99c, must be something wrong with cooler or installation proces...


    But isn't that his point? There's something wrong with the isntallation process, and it's likely something that wouldn't occure with screw down type heat sinks. Push pins aren't all bad, but they're certainly not as nice and easy as screws.
  33. wolfram23 said:
    But isn't that his point? There's something wrong with the isntallation process, and it's likely something that wouldn't occure with screw down type heat sinks. Push pins aren't all bad, but they're certainly not as nice and easy as screws.


    Exactly.
  34. I think people fear tearing their working rig apart to mount the backplate of a new HSF.
    So they consider push pins a alternative. But to install even those right, its good to make sure they have come through the back side correctly. Whatever model you choose, just watch a couple videos on how to install. Take your time, and everything will work, when you restart. You will get that satisfied feeling from your new cooler :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Temperature Intel i5 Overclocking