Request For Some Advice/Help With My Latest Build!

Badass1982

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hi i was just wondering if somebody could tell me if this system will fit together successfully i am a competent PC Builder however im not convinced i am correct with the sizes of each part mainly the gpu's to fit my mobo so i will list the components i am trying to put into this system (so far i have only purchased the full tower case and creative x fi titanium fatality soundcard!) and would very much appreciate some advice as to weather these components will fit without being in the way as i desire high air flow at first (before i decide to purchase a water cooling kit)

Thanks and here goes

CASE: COOLERMASTER ATCS 840

CPU: CORE I7 EXTREME EDITION 965

MOBO: MSI ECLIPSE X58 SLI or ASUS CLASSIFIED X58 (am torn between these but heard the x fi drivers dont have to be activated on the MSI and also the ASUS only has support for 12 GB RAM instead of 24GB)

RAM: 12GB (TR3X6G2000C7GTF - DOMINATOR GT, 6GB (3x2GB), 2000MHz, 7-8-7-20) x2

SOUNDCARD: CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER X FI TITANIUM FATALITY 7.1

GPU'S:EVGA GEFORCE GTX 295 1792MB X2

PSU:COOLMAX CUQ-1350B ATX 12V V2.2/ EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS CERTIFIED

HDD 1&2: WESTERN DIGITAL VELOCIRAPTOR WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000RPM X2

HDD 3&4&5: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200RPM X3

MONITOR: GATEWAY XHD3000

OPTICAL DRIVE 1: LG BLACK SUPER MULTI BLU RAY BURNER GGW-H20L

OPTICAL DRIVE 2: THE SAME AS ABOVE

CPU HEATSINK: ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED

CPU HEATSINK BRACKET: ZALMAN ZM-CS4A SOCKET 1366 CLIP SUPPORT KIT

r_manic

Administrator
Ok, thanks for making me drool.

Stupid questions:

1. Will you be using an OS that can see all twelve GB of your RAM? (32-bit OSes won't)
2. Do you really need a dedicated sound card? Using the audio hardware integrated with the motherboard is usually enough for all purposes.
3. Two Blu-Ray Burners?!? Will you be duplicating Blu-Ray discs regularly?
4. Maybe you're also going overboard on the PSU? I'm thinking around the level of 1000W is enough.

I'm curious, how much is your projected bill for these? :p

Badass1982

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
1. OS Will Be Win 7 Retail 64 Bit (If it is actually released by then if not Vista Ultimate 64 Bit)
2. I Already Have The Dedicated Soundcard (and the PC Case) but no probably not however i have read in a lot of places that Dedicated Soun Is WELL worth having!
3. i was being greedy , good for backing up hard drives isnt it to have 2 blu ray burners?
4. PSU i just figured that id need A LOT of power to supply my 2 (or 3 as im now thinkin GTX 295's)

So do you or anybody else know if these components will actually be compatible , oh and i recently found out that apparently the classified does support 24 GB RAM although im not sure if it will support 2000 Mhz RAM

And supposedly the classified also supports 3x sli and crossfire x (even using dual GPU cards, along with 1 pcie x1 card AND a physx card or pci add in!)

my projected bill (not including the 2 components ive just purchased is just shy of 5000 dollars) thats going with newegg.com prices

Thanks

Martin

r_manic

Administrator
Could you link to your specific motherboard options? I'm thinking your RAM is too powerful, but I can't seem to find the mobo you listed here. And if you're really serious about your proposed build, you can save lots of money by getting only:

-1 Blu-Ray burner
-1 or 2 hard disks (a pair of WD 1TBs should do you fine)
-1 GTX 295 (It's strong enough to power your monitor nicely)
-a less powerful PSU, since you'll have less components to power.

r_manic

Administrator

Badass1982

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for the reply but if you look again at the RAM that i suggested before, you will find that it is actually much faster than the links you dupplied as it runs at 2000Mhz not 1600Mhz and thats BEFORE its overclocked , hence the ridiculous price tag!

12GB (TR3X6G2000C7GTF - DOMINATOR GT, 6GB (3x2GB), 2000MHz, 7-8-7-20) x2

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Awesome build, I've got something similar. The one thing though, 3 GTX 295s won't work for gaming, quad is max (2 cards) BUT, It doesn't mean you can't use the 3rd one, CUDA apps will take whatever you throw at them.

Dual GTX 295s will draw near 600watts total, so a 1kW PSU should be alright.

Top to bottom you could fit the cards in this way...

Sound
GTX295
^
GTX295
^
With one more x16 for another graphics, with only 4x bandwidth you might want to go with a less powerful card so you're not losing power due to bandwidth restrictions.

Another thought would be a RAID card... Something faster than onboard to RAID your HDDs into a large RAID5 array, just a thought.

Badass1982

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
yer ive been considering setting up a raid system for sometime now , and i figure i should do it soon as inm training to become and A+ certified IT tech right now so it would make sense to be experienced in setting up raid configs, however which setup would be best for gaming, i tend to download a lot of data too, so im thinking huge hard disk for storage but hence the samsungs but speed for the OS and Games hence the 2 velociraptors!

Oh and according to the evga website and reviews you can run 3 gtx 295's in SLi according to what ive read/watched.

Any Thoughts?
i plan on using 2 gtx 295.s and a physx card though

r_manic

Administrator

Agreed Badass... all I'm doing is suggesting items that provide comparable performance but are much much cheaper. Your plans are still making me drool, but it wouldn't hurt to save a buck (or a hundred) here and there. :p