Sign in with
Your question

Screen problem during OC'ing

Last response: in Overclocking
May 8, 2010 6:45:40 PM

'lo all

I currently have an (aging) Gainward Bliss 8600 GT 1GB and I've recently started to play Battlefield Bad Company 2. Seeing as how I tend to lag somewhat on the low setting (Though during graphical intense moments and such) I've decided to try and ramp it up somewhat.

Now, I've managed to do so but nowhere as much as I've seen some others do it (Specifically the memory). Using the latest nTune and Nvidia Monitor, I've managed to ramp up from factory settings (590 Mhz core, 490 Mhz memory) to 750Mhz core and 561 Mhz memory. Now, I'm somewhat pleased with a 160 Mhz boost for the core but just a 50 Mhz boost for the memory seems odd. Especially considering that I see people getting it to 1000Mhz and such, though I'm guessing it's my motherboard that may be the bottleneck (if not then my Ram)

Anyway, when I try pushing the memory to even 580Mhz I start seeing pink pixles on the screen and going higher, they increase in number and eventually cause a total system crash if I go higher. Anyone can help me out here?

System specs:

Asus P5KPL motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

4GB ( 2 x 2GB) RAM DDR2 800Mhz (Yes shoot me please OTL)

Gainward Bliss 8600 GT 1GB (OC'd)

More about : screen problem ing

May 8, 2010 6:50:46 PM

Also sorry for double post but it doesn't let me edit:

Also if it counts, I thought I'd share the following too:

DGiM 19" monitor at 1440 x 900 75 Hertz
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 7:00:32 PM

Those actually look like pretty good overclocks. There's no telling from one 8600 to another how well it will overclock, could be part specific. Maybe your ram just doesn't oc well, but your gpu does.

Having said that, here's what I would try: return the gpu to original clock settings. Then increase the ram until you artifact, then back down to the highest stable memory clock. Then begin increasing the GPU clock until artifacts appear, then back down to the highest stable setting. You may be able to find a happy medium this way.

The 8600GT was never a powerful card to begin with, more of a budget gamer. I would start saving for a new card, you're only gonna get so much outta that old one.
Related resources
May 8, 2010 7:26:11 PM

I must admit that sounds like quite an odd solution that never did cross my mind. I'll give that a shot (Thankfully because the profile auto-loads on factory defaults it's no problem to try your suggestion). I'll post up the results, if they don't turn out any better than my settings I at least have those saved.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the core clock, it's the memory clock that was leaving me questioning what was going on in my system but thanks again!
May 8, 2010 7:52:01 PM

buzznut said:
Those actually look like pretty good overclocks. There's no telling from one 8600 to another how well it will overclock, could be part specific. Maybe your ram just doesn't oc well, but your gpu does.

Having said that, here's what I would try: return the gpu to original clock settings. Then increase the ram until you artifact, then back down to the highest stable memory clock. Then begin increasing the GPU clock until artifacts appear, then back down to the highest stable setting. You may be able to find a happy medium this way.

The 8600GT was never a powerful card to begin with, more of a budget gamer. I would start saving for a new card, you're only gonna get so much outta that old one.

Great, I did what you said and I managed to crank out an extra 20Mhz on the memory getting the settings up to 749 OC Core and 581 OC Memory (749 OC core and 561 OC Mhz memory with first clock) and finally against the factory settings that were 600 core and 500 Memory (both also Mhz)

Sadly that's the furthest it would go for even raising the core to 757 caused the stability program to crash haha. Great, now I can actually play BFBC2 on medium (Albiet with 30-35FPS average) but Low shouldn't cause me any more troubles! Thanks a tonne dude
!