Sign in with
Your question

4870 x2 - All games crash in Fullscreen but work in Windowed mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2009 1:04:14 AM

Hi,

I have found a ton of threads with people talking about this problem.

The problem: Sapphire 4870 x2 installed and games will not run unless set in windowed mode. I have tested this in WOW, Crysis, Stalker, Counter strike. They run perfectly in Windowed mode. If set to full screen the games will start loading the data. As soon as the game is ready to start, it crashes. By this I mean that the game crashes before showing 1 frame of the game.

My rig:
-Asus P5n-D (bios flashed to the last version - 9002)
-Sapphire 4870 X2 (Most of the threads I read report this issue with the Sapphire. Some have mentionned other brands though)
-2x2GB Corsair RAM (I tried running with 1x2GB to make sure the RAM was not the issue. Tried with both sticks individually)
-PSU = Corsair TX750W (part of the ATI certified PSUs for the 4870 X2)
-I tested another PSU (Seasonic 600W) for the heck of it. That PSU does not meet the 650Watts but it gave identical results. I disconnected the DVD drive and all but one Hard drives. Games ran perfectly in windowed mode. So I am pretty sure the PSU is not the issue.
-8300 Core 2 Duo CPU - not overclocked
-Coolermaster CMStacker case (3 Fans, one right in front of the GPU)
-GPU runs around 51 degrees on idle, according to CCC
-I tried all the drivers I could frind from the 7.11 to the new 8.2
-I tested both PCI E slots on my mobo - same results
-I tested my PC with my old 7800 GTX from nvidia and everything works fine

Now... Like I said I found a ton of reports on this, a lot of discussion, but no solution. The only bit of info I found useful was that the 4870 X2 runs on 1 GPU in Windowed mode. I do not know this for sure, I just read one post from one guy saying this.

I am getting desperate here. Any idea would be very welcome.

I am going to try and find out if I can flash the Video cards bios. I read the original 4870 required this in some cases. I doubt it will help though.
January 9, 2009 1:55:32 PM

-EDIT- I am running XP pro btw
-EDIT- There are 2 4870 X2 listed in the Device Manager. Both are enabled when looking in their "properties"

I just realized something in the CCC:

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Device ID 9441
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID E89A
Subsystem Vendor ID 174B

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 011.016.000.025
BIOS Part Number 113-AAE89Q-X101
BIOS Date 2008/12/11

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 750 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 900 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 107 GByte/s

Disabled Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Device ID 9441
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID E89A
Subsystem Vendor ID 174B

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 011.016.000.025
BIOS Part Number 113-AAE89A-X201
BIOS Date 2008/12/11

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 750 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 900 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 107 GByte/s

Erm... Can anyone tell me why the 2nd "adapter" is disabled?
January 9, 2009 2:08:42 PM

I would uninstall the card and remove all drivers. Download most current drivers, and reinstall everything. If that doesnt work, drop back to the 8.11 drivers.
Related resources
January 9, 2009 2:44:12 PM

The card has a dead core or maybe the power connector isn't connected. You can continue to troubleshoot but do not upgrade the firmware you could have issues with returning the card if it's defective. I had the exact same problem with my first 4870x2, RMA it new card worked fine.

You may also find that tech support is useless.

Also in windowed mode you only run 1 core which is why you don't have issues there. In full screen I frequently got the splash screen and then a blue screen. When I googled the windows error message I started to figure out what the problem was.

zipzoomflyhigh That is normal with any x2 card.
January 9, 2009 2:48:59 PM

bydesign said:
The card has a dead core or maybe the power connector isn't connected. You can continue to troubleshoot but do not upgrade the firmware you could have issues with returning the card if it's defective. I had the exact same problem with my first 4870x2, RMA it new card worked fine.

You may also find that tech support is useless.

zipzoomflyhigh That is normal with any x2 card.

Can you confirm that your problem was identical - i.e. you could run games in windowed but not fullscreen modes?

As far as drivers go, I tried reverting to 8.11 already. I tried all drivers from 7.11 up actually, each time doing a thorough clean using driver cleaner and/or Revo.
January 9, 2009 3:01:57 PM

Any easy way to make sure that both connectors on the card are receiving power? The PSU is brand new but still might be smart to check that before sending the card back.

One more thing from GPU-z:

GPU-z detects the 2 cores it seems.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2009 3:23:52 PM

I used to have a similar problem with my Sapphire 4870 x2 in Vista 64, where any game would show artifacts as soon as started and within a couple of seconds the whole computer would crash; if I played games in windowed mode I could play just fine.

The solution to my problem seemed to be that the auto-tune OC tool in the CCC set the clock speeds to high; once I lowered the memory OC most games worked fine.

Occasionally I still get a crash and/or BSOD when playing WoW; It crashed frequently, I had to lower the AA to make it bearable; now it still crashes once in a while, mainly when I am at the log-in screen in a waiting queue.

January 9, 2009 4:13:47 PM

I actually did not even install CCC in some of my tryouts. I doubt this is the issue. I will try and under-clock the card and see what happens though.
January 9, 2009 6:51:19 PM

Do you have Vista or XP?
January 10, 2009 2:33:49 AM

brisos said:
Can you confirm that your problem was identical - i.e. you could run games in windowed but not fullscreen modes?

As far as drivers go, I tried reverting to 8.11 already. I tried all drivers from 7.11 up actually, each time doing a thorough clean using driver cleaner and/or Revo.

As long as I played them in windowed mode everything was fine. My second core wasn't disable which is why I suggest you check the power connectors. I could go into the games in windowed mode and switch into full screen and it would crash in 0-10 seconds. I was pissed too got it overnighted the day it was released. Didn't get my working replacement until the following week. Once I got it everything was much better until it dawned on me that wasn't an F-15 taking off it was my GPU.

Once I got the water block for it I was happy again, idles at 36C. With clocks at 800/1000 while gaming it's at 42C and that in nearly silent mode. Never had a single problem with it gaming even made it 8 hours straight in AoC without crashing when most others crashed every 30 minutes back in the day.

Any good luck, off to install Windows 7...

January 10, 2009 4:40:12 AM

I somewhat had the same problem when I had to move mine (sapphire) into another slot so I could fit my watercooling in. When I signed into vista 64bit, a popup would tell me my 2nd adapter was disabled, but games still worked ect.

I reinstalled my driver and it would still be disabled so I just reorganized my case and put the card back into its original slot. Now it works perfect. Try your other slot? only advice I have.
January 10, 2009 6:35:14 PM

I tried my 2nd PCIE slot with the same result. The popup you had is something else I think. Did it say that the card's clocks had to be lowered because it was not getting enough power? I read about that, but it is a different problem. Thanks for the idea though it was worth a shot :) 

Fyi - someone over on Anand Tech posted this link, which is pretty interesting and right on my issue: http://forums.guru3d.com/showp...p=2980280&postcount=23

This makes me think I'm screwed until ATI fixes the bug. I still hope the card was defective, since I had several people tell me that is what had happened to them.

I also tried reinstalling all my mobo's chipsets, flashed the bios of the mobo again, did a clean install of the 8.11, changed the power connectors on the graphics card (in case on of the cable was bad)... Still no change. I sent my card back to newegg yesterday. I wonder if they will ship the replacement using UPS 2day air since that's what I had paid for initially. But I doubt it :) 

I will get my butt back here when I have the replacement. My next step is buying a P5Q (just because a friend has a working rig similar to mine with that mobo). After that I'm not sure :p 

And thanks for the replies!
January 12, 2009 3:15:52 PM

Thought it might interest someone to know what ATI's take (or at least this particular technician) is on SLI boards supporting crossfire:

Quote:
:

CrossFire cards are not tested in SLI motherboards by AMD Customer Care, SLI boards are not a supported configuration for CrossFire cards.

SLI motherboards are support specific card combinations and because of this may have issues with the dual processor cards from AMD. Only Nvidia or the motherboard manufacturer would be able to confirm this.

Generally as long as the motherboard is set to only a single card operation and a single video card with a single VPU on it is installed in the motherboard there should be no problems at all. Because you are using a dual VPU card there may be issues with the setup.
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2009 5:16:40 PM

you can also try switching to windows vista. that helped my 4850 (sort of, a couple of problems too can be attributed to my other hardware components like i forgot to beefup my cpu voltage after a gpu upgrade).

and considering thats a 4870x2, dont you want dx10? :D  . . you just have to make sure that you can procure 170$ in 1 month before it expires.

and good thing that your ATI techsupport rep do actually reply in a not so copy/paste manner. my last encounter with one was like reading a wiki page.
January 18, 2009 12:47:00 AM

brisos said:
Any easy way to make sure that both connectors on the card are receiving power? The PSU is brand new but still might be smart to check that before sending the card back.

One more thing from GPU-z:

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq210/azziane/gpuz.jpg

GPU-z detects the 2 cores it seems.

Hi, could you dump your bios for me plz? I am looking for 011.016.000.025 for long time.....
January 21, 2009 2:44:41 PM

Got the card replacement today.

Games do not crash in fullscreen mode anymore but the 2nd Adapter is still showing as disabled in CCC. Not sure what to do from here.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2980280&postcou... seems to suggest it is a known issue.

Googling "4870 x2 "disabled adapter" returns a lot of hits. Dozens of people are reporting this same issue (apparently only under win XP) with absolutely nobody knowing what the heck is going on.

The only fix I have found is "install vista". Which is not an option for me.

Could anyone point me towards a good (free) solution to test if both the GPUs of the card are being used? I can test FPS in games like Crysis if someone has the same rig as mine, or do some testing with benchmarking apps if someone feels like explaining me how to do so.

I have the free version of 3dmark06 somewhere on my drive - just don't know how to use it.

As for the bios dump, I have no idea what you meant. But if I can help you let me know how.
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 21, 2009 3:03:32 PM

You could see how many fps you get in various games and compare that with numbers for HD 4870 and for HD 4870 X2 from reviews.

Crysis is useless for this because HD 4870 and HD 4870 X2 are about the same in that game. It's "optimized" by nVidia people and doesn't support Crossfire at all.

If you have CoD4, play it at 1680x1050 and see what you get. One GPU should give you about 70 fps, and two GPUs about 130 fps.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-x2-review-crossfire/12
January 22, 2009 1:54:34 PM

Thanks for the tip.

The 69 FPS for one 4870 is for the 512MB single core card. One core on a 4870 X2 would still be 1GB of GRAM. And I'm not sure I can test that reliably since the FPS is going to vary from one part of the game to the next.

I thought Crysis would be better since (I think?) it has a built-in benchmarking tool. But I see that, like you said, the double core is not going to be tested reliably either.

a c 143 U Graphics card
January 22, 2009 2:03:41 PM

True. Also, if the reviewers got 69 fps that doesn't mean you'll get 69 fps just because you have the same graphics card. The CPU matters too, the game and driver settings matter a lot, card clocks may differ, the amount of RAM matters, where in the game you are sure changes results like you said, etc. Definitely not an exact science here :( 
!