Computer just powers down after installing gtx 280 ocx

th3flyboy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hey I just installed a BFG GTX 280 OCX to replace my Geforce 8500 gt which fried, and now whenever I try to play a game or run a benchmark, my system just powers down. I think it may be the PSU, but I'm not sure. The reason I'm asking about this is I have a 600 watt psu, and it says on the box it needs a 575. Full system specs are as follows:

Power Supply:
600 watts

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Mobo:
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI

Ram:
2 sticks of OCZ 800mhz SLI 2gig ram (4 gigs total)

Vid Card:
single BFG Tech GTX 280 OCX

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

Hard Drive:

all 7200 rpm

1: 120 gig

2: 500 gig

3: 160 gig

Input devices:
Microsoft keyboard (generic one)
Microsoft Sidewinder precision pro
Razer lachechis
TrackIR 4 Pro
Wacom 4x6 intuos 3
logitech nascar racing wheel and pedals

Sound: onboard realtek hd audio

Moniter: 20.1 inch westinghouse LCD

all drivers and BIOS are at latest versions

Fans:

Aftermarket CPU fan
Corsair Dominator RAM fan
2 case fans
1 fan in a drive bay

Disc Drives:
Floppy drive
DVD RW drive

Anyone got any ideas? If I am using too low of a PSU, what would you recommend I get as the one needed to run it without power downs and without going overboard... (read real low on cash right now, so only what i need to run it with all my gear optimally)

Note I am NOT planning on SLI any time soon, so don't bother with planning for that, If I'm gonna go SLI I'm gonna need to get a new PSU and case and that isn't in the plans any time soon.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
? Fried the video card...no name PSU...won't power up..."real low on cash right now"... Unplug the computer and work on adding more subscribers to your paper route so you can afford a BETTER THAN "only what I need to run" power supply.

th3flyboy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
eklipz, i think you're right, It's an ultra, and I just checked and it's actually a 600, i just updated that, I'm defanatly gonna get a better than normal one, It's just right now is just after xmas, so that's why i'm low on cash, marcellis, stop being a jagoff... seriously... I don't need your crap right now. I'm trying to figure out what to fix it with right now, and i'm looking at a 1000 watt psu, just gotta find a good one that's not gonna cost an arm and a leg...

Oh and marcellis, the reason I don't just unplug the damn thing and go without for a while is right now i'm taking computer graphics courses at the local college, kinda hard to do with the computer turned off....

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Quit asking STUPID questions, and you might be taken more seriously...you don't need anything right now if you had a job...

The local college doesn't have computers that work?

You managed to spend $300+- dollars on a video card, maybe you should have spent $150 on a power supply and another $150 on a pretty good video card. BAD PLANNING on your part...

th3flyboy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009

It wasn't a stupid question, I was trying to figure out what was the cause of a problem....

Jeez, I come here looking for help trying to fix a computer problem and then you show up being a jagoff. As for my not having a job, First of all, I'm in college, 2nd of all, right now there is nothing in my area hiring. 3rd of all, I'm doing computer work in school, so I NEED my computer to be able to function while running stuff like Photoshop CS4. Money is tight enough as it is with my needing to get books and software for school, so right now I don't need crap from people like you saying "get a job" when in this economy you can't barely even find a thing. There isn't even a mcdonalds for 5 miles, and no public transportation. I live out in farm country, believe me I HAVE been searching for one for over a year, but all I find locally is stuff like registered nurse, and well I'm pretty sure it's a felony to get that job without being a RN. I don't need crap like what you're giving. I just got out of high school and finished my first semester in college. If my comp don't work, I can't work on my school work at home, that's why it's critical to get a PSU that works. I think I found one but I'm probably gonna have to go without it for a while, at least until the bills are all paid off... You need to understand that not everyone lives in an area with a crapton of jobs just easily able to be got. Believe me, I have been looking for over a year now, and nothing is in my area.

th3flyboy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009

I admit it was bad planning, and yes they do have computers that work there, but since I can't spend all my time there, I have to have something that works at home. As for the PSU, I just found a decent one, 750 watts, should work, 100 bucks after rebate. Hopefully I'll be able to get it soon.

As far as the PSU goes, I checked the system requirements, and mine were a bit higher, so I wasn't expecting this. SNAFU at it's finest.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Computer graphics won't get you a real job...I live in farming country, and I've had a job in IT fixing computers for more than 25 years, you need to work towards a job that really pays and hires... Look, you described your problem right off, taking your computer to the local tech shop might have cost you $50 to find out the real problem, and most shops would be willing to work with you, ie, "If I buy the parts needed from you, would you waive the labor charge?". Sure, they make the most money on labor, but gaining a good customer is an ever better deal. If you REALLY want a good job, with GREAT benefits, go get a degree as a registered nurse, you can get a good paying job anywhere, and you'll never be out of work.