Is the Antec 900 still the king of air cooling?

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hello everyone
This has been on my mind lately since I have a pretty good idea of what I would want in a new gaming PC just not what would house it all.
I loved the Antec 900 since I first set my eyes on it (even with the back I/O panel hiccup) but it has been such a long time...
So is there a better case for air cooling these days?

B-Raz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008
I have to say I love the 900, I got one in July and it's been doing a great job at keeping my single slot 4850 cool. Cable management is pretty good, but with the bottom mounted psu, my 4pin ATX cable has to stretch quite a bit to the top of my mobo. The Coolermaster Cosmos is also a good pick, but quite a bit more expensive at around $200.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Antec 1200 is a nice step up from the 900 in every way, more airflow, nicer cable management, but huge too. Have one and it won't actually fit neatly into my PC desk so it's mounted proudly on a second small desk beside my main PC desk. I prefer it that way though because it looks awesome.

Cheese-kun

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Antec 900 -> NZXT Tempest -> Antec 1200 =/= Antec 902. (900 and two)
IMO, now? Antec 1200.
Antec 900 or Antec 902? Antec 902
Antec 900 or NZXT Tempest? NZXT Tempest
Antec 902 or NZXT Tempest? NZXT Tempest
Antec 1200 or NZXT Tempest? Antec 1200
HAF or Antec 1200? Antec 1200
Winner: Antec 1200, IMO. 2nd place? NZXT Tempest 3rd place? Antec 902

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for all the info... Now i am really torn between Antec 900 and NZXT Tempest, as much as I would love the 1200 Its a bit pricey over here
Antec 900 - $220.25 The tricool fans move 79CFM on Max
NZXT Tempest - $241.55 I can't find any information on the fans...
If I need to swap out any stock fans due to them being crap, the best 120mm (LED) fan I can get my hands on is the Thermaltake A2018 - $35 each (Moves 93.7CFM on Max)
I can get the Scythe 3000RPM Ultra Kaze for about $40 but looking at my current PC in the dark... It looks so unhappy. Maybe one would be okay.

Another question about the Tempest I have is how mod-friendly is it? I saw somewhere on the web where a guy cut holes in the Antec 900's motherboard tray which led to some fantastic cable management, can the same be done with the Tempest?

Edit:

Do I need a system speaker?

Cheese-kun

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
The NZXT Tempest comes with 6 fans while the Antec I think only comes with... 4? Plus, the fans are all equipped with dust filters while the Antec 900 does not. If you must change fans, change the front 2. As the front two fans come with dust filters + the cage ish thing in front, it really is unnecessary and removing those cages actually reduces temps by 1-2 C. Cable management is extremely easy in the Tempest. Check out tjharlow's videos on youtube. It shows you the layout and the how-tos of cable
management on the NZXT Tempest. It's also mod-able in the sense of painting and stuff. Check out the video. I am sure it will help you, as it did help me quite alot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUSEwfspq7s

mi1ez

Splendid
900 is among the best and I also run a 1200. Wonderful stuff!
I think it's better looking than the tempest and similar cooling. Not sure how much the 900mk2 has improved cable management over the original.

...Just looked. Much better. Plus it has the black inside the case aswell as out!

I'd say in your situation, go with the 900-2

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I also have the 900 and love it. I agree - the 1200 is like a 900 upgraded. It's very nice and has filters, external fan controls, and a lot more fans. I almost upgrade my 900 to it at one point. I still might.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I have the Antec 900 and I made some mods for cable management.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261278-31-pics-antec-time-build#t1896300

A speaker is a must for any home built PC. It is used to diagnos issues when booting up the PC.

I keep my fans on the lowest setting and do not have any cooling issues.
Look at my signature and you will see that I OC my uint also.

Be sure and get the version 2 of the 900.

Good luck

Mark

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I bought an Antec 900 on black friday at a local computer shop for $60, its a great case. Definately an upgrade in quality and cooling from the rosewell case I was using before, but it does have some flaws in my opinion. The side of the case seems a little cramped for my style, particularly when trying to squeeze all my cables onto the side of the case, but I believe they widened the case on the new 902 so hopefully they wided the right panel side where you put your cables. And they added filters I believe, which hopefully fixed my 2 biggest complaints.

But airflow is my last concern in this case, I OC my computer and it is still icy cold, compared to before where it ran quite hot in its old case. My OC and system setup in in my system configuration page if you want to see what im running.

*edited in*
Oh Mark K did some mods to an 900, but that seems to be an older version of the 900. I know with mine I had the holes pre-drilled in it. And the 902 also has holes pre-drilled in it I believe. So just make sure you know which one you are picking up if you want this, and don't want the hassle of putting it in yourself.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The Antec 902 comes with air filters, incl. on the side pannel.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Just another plug for the 1200. It's got tons of airflow; 3x120mm on front, 2x120mm on back, 1x200mm on top, side port for another 120mm, and all the intakes have filters (because outlets don't need them, obviously).

No system speaker in that one either though, just something to keep in mind while you're building your rig and waiting for that one happy little beep.

Gotta say I love the case, looks stunning, tons of space to work in, and keeps everything nice and cool :)

Cheese-kun

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I said 900 not 902. The thing with the 902 and the 1200 is the "big boy" fan on the top. 2 140 fans would move more air than that 200 fan anyways.

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hi again, just going to update some info to help you guys help me haha
Antec 900 - $220 The tricool fans move 79CFM on Max
Antec 900 Two - $300
Antec 1200 - $360
NZXT Tempest - $242 I can't find any information on the fans... except that there are alot...
Fans: The best 120mm (LED) fan I can get my hands on is the Thermaltake A2018 - $35 each (Moves 93.7CFM on Max)
I can get the Scythe 3000RPM Ultra Kaze for about $40 but looking at my current PC in the dark... It looks so unhappy. Maybe one would be okay as an exhaust.

The system I am hoping to build in due time is probably going to be a rather hot sucker.
I7 920 Stock speeds for a while then overclocked to 3.6-4.0ghz
A single big graphics card and upgrading to dual sli when the prices drop.
And most other stuff you would expect In this kind of build, 6gb or DDR3 or more, Velociraptor + Caviar Black or SSD's if they are affordable at the time.

As modding is concerned I dislike the standard grey/silver insides of most cases, so I will be painting that black or some other color
And I want really... and I mean really nice cable management so the ability to cut holes in the motherboard tray and hide a lot of the airflow cluttering mess.

Now on to the system speaker... how would I find one, I think I have two old busted computers in the storage If I open them up where do I look (they are the shoebox shaped case kind) failing that, where would I get one?

If I have not mention I live in New Zealand and cases and fans never drop in price, the Antec 900 has been in the 200-220 range for as long as I can remember. (In some cases they actually get higher in price)

Those high rpm, high volume fans will generate a lot of noise. There's always a balancing act between fan speed and noise. It's also a personal matter. One person's quiet fan is another person's jumbo jet engine.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Thats not a really hot system.
Infact it is that same configuration that I have now.
I am OCing with stock fans and HSF........

Mark

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

Well regarding that, can you explain how fan controllers work, I was thinking about maybe adding one but where do they have to be placed, what cables have to be run to them will it fit in a case with 1-2 optical drives and 2 HDDS, do they attach to the motherboard?
Im guessing the fan cables have to be run to them or do they meet halfway or... just any information would be great.
You guys are so helpful, don't take this the wrong way but... I love you guys!

Fan controllers are usually made to fit in an external drive bay. A psu power cable is plugged into the controller. Fan cables are plugged into the controller. Usually there is some sort of rotating knob or dial for each fan. Turning the knob or dial controls the fan speed. There are some digital units with small lcd displays too.

Here's a link to a whole web page full of fan controllers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000011&Description=fan%20controlers&name=Controller%20Panels

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

After checking my usual source I can get a few fan controllers although they are pricey, but hey what isn't?
Lian-Li TR-5B http://c1com.co.nz/shop/product.php?number=15604
ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 http://c1com.co.nz/shop/product.php?number=4773
ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 PLUS BLACK http://c1com.co.nz/shop/product.php?number=14422
Just checking that I have my info right, the fans will plug into the controller, not the psu or motherboard right? they draw power from the controller that draws power from the psu?
What is the chance that the exhaust fan won't reach the controller at the front? And can I hook up the Antec 900's Bigboy 200m fan to the controller?

I like the look of the above three controllers, alright the ZM-MFC1 is apparently very bright with its LED's but my entire case is going to glow blue so that might not matter...
I am not sure how those switches are supposed to be used and I cant find information on the max wattage per channel on any of them expect the ZM-MFC1 Plus Black, the fans I plan to use seem to chug 6W per. And if the bigboy can be attached to a controller I have no idea how much that uses either.

Thanks again for everything we seem to be making progress!

Lozza81

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
If air cooling is your thing I'd also recommend looking at the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package full tower case or if you want mid-sized ATX then the Thermaltake Element S is also good.

That's whete I got mine - salvaged from an old case. Look at the case wiring for a 4 pin connector with red and black wires on the outside pins. The one I have is a magnetic speaker, not one of those piezo things. The magnet on the back of the speaker sticks nicely to the side of the PSU.