Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard socket problem - pins bent??

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2009 10:25:30 PM

I have a P4M800Pro-M MOBO with DDR RAM. I was upgrading the P4 533MHz processor to a dual core processor. When I installed the new one it didn't boot. I took the processor off and put the old one in and tried, it didn't boot up either. So I took it off and noticed that the socket pins seemed a little disfigured. (its a 775 Socket and so are both the processirs). May have happened when I was taking the processor off :-( or when I was trying to clean up the heatsink glue off the socket case. (I may have snagged the paper towel on some of the pins in the socket... :-(
If I get a new MOBO I'll have to reload HD- dont want to do that because I dont have a backup.:-(( If I can get the same model of MOBO and install that with the new processor will that work w/o having to format/load my HD?
Is there a way to get the socket on old MOBO replaced? (I wish..)
Thanks for your help
Bummed on MOBO :-(
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2009 12:01:01 AM

Well, the old trick that I've always used is the credit card to realign the pins in the entire row. If you apply small amounts of pressure the pins should bend back easily.
Replacing the socket on your mobo isn't gonna be feasible. But I don't know why you'd want to, if the proc doesn't fit then try realigning the pins.

If you're going to replace the mobo, why not upgrade to a better board? If you can get the exact same board on the cheap I suppose you could run with the drivers and OS you have on your hard drive, but I noticed that the board is a deactivated item on New egg so gl with that.
April 24, 2009 2:21:31 AM

buzznut said:
Well, the old trick that I've always used is the credit card to realign the pins in the entire row. If you apply small amounts of pressure the pins should bend back easily.
Replacing the socket on your mobo isn't gonna be feasible. But I don't know why you'd want to, if the proc doesn't fit then try realigning the pins.

If you're going to replace the mobo, why not upgrade to a better board? If you can get the exact same board on the cheap I suppose you could run with the drivers and OS you have on your hard drive, but I noticed that the board is a deactivated item on New egg so gl with that.

Thanks for the credit card suggestion, I'll try it and see if it works.
The reason I was looking for the same old MOBO was that then I wouldn't have to start with a fresh HD load etc. I wanted to keep my HD as it is to preserve the data.
With a new MOBO I will have to reformat and reload HD and I will loose the data. I dont have a recent backup .... :-((
I dont know any other way to chenge the MOBO and still keeep the data - unless I get another HD and make it a primary HD.

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2009 3:36:23 AM

So in your shoes I would find a buddy with a pc and install my HD in his machine and back the data up.

The prices of external drives have come down quite a bit, for the future I would recommend gettin one o those for your backups.

Or 500gb internal drives can be had for around $60
April 24, 2009 12:22:35 PM

buzznut said:
So in your shoes I would find a buddy with a pc and install my HD in his machine and back the data up.

The prices of external drives have come down quite a bit, for the future I would recommend gettin one o those for your backups.

Or 500gb internal drives can be had for around $60

Fully agree on the backup HD. Sad part (or lazy???) is that I had a second HD that I used for B/Up. But I havent done the back up in over a month or two .... :(  I even thought about doing a b/up as I was opening up the system but then stupidity prevailed ..... :fou: 

Thanks for all your help, I'll try the Credit card trick first and then go to hooking up to the second PC.

!