Sign in with
Your question

HP Pavillion dv6000 CD driver does not recognise CDs.

Last response: in Storage
June 3, 2010 1:57:54 PM

I'm having problem with my CD driver recognising any CDs.

A day or two ago it was working perfectly for my Sims 3 game, however the only thing/s I've done recently within the last day was attempt to use a CD my driving instructor gave to me, that didn't load up, and the 2nd thing was update my Sims 3 game - but I doubt that'd be the problem.

I've tried many solutions so far including:

---------------------------------

Start the Run Command Prompt
Type in "regedit" without the parenthesis then click ok
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Then SYSTEM
Then CURRENT CONTROL SET
Then CONTROL
Then CLASS
Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
The whole thing looks like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then delete the upper and lower filters....

---------------------------------

But that didn't work, nor did all of these links to software that clears it up for you, and I'm out of ideas.

Any help?

Thanks,
Anthony.
a b α HP
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 3:03:13 PM

Does the disc look scratched or smudged? If yes, try using a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc.

Is the drive still showing up in My Computer?

If you haven't tried this scan, try it.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
June 3, 2010 9:15:32 PM

The drive doesn't show up on 'My Computer' but the CDs are fine.

I've just ran the Microsoft 'Fix It' and it told me that the drive was not detected, which is obviously good that it's done that. However my solution has not been resolved because it took no action to fix it.

Do you know why?

Thanks for the recent reply.
Related resources
a b α HP
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 9:17:11 PM

Look in the device manager. You probably have a conflict (yellow !) on your device. If so, you can try rolling back the driver, or uninstalling, and restarting the PC.
June 3, 2010 9:30:13 PM

Sorry, that was meant to say 'Open', not hope..
June 3, 2010 9:31:19 PM

I'm rather confused by the 'Device Manager' section that everyone's been talking about. When I hope it up, it says:

- HPPAVILLIONDV600
+Batteries
+Bluetooth Radios
+Computer
+Disk drives ----- In here it only says 'Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 ATA Device'
+Display adapters
+Human Interface Devices
+IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
+Keyboards
+Mice and other pointing devices
+Modems
+Monitors
+Network adapters
+Processors
+SD host adapters
+Sound, video and game controllers
+Storage controllers
+System devices
+Universal Serial Bus controllers
a b α HP
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 9:39:47 PM

Right click on HPPAVILLIONDV600 and search for new hardware.

That Hitachi device is your hard drive.

When the computer is booting up, and it's running through the black BIOS screen, does it list the DVD drive?

I'm thinking the drive is disconnected or dead.
June 3, 2010 10:29:35 PM

Would you recommend that I uninstall the Hitachi and then restart the laptop? I'm not quite sure what you mean by BIOS - I'm really not that technical with computers and laptops. Sorry.
a b α HP
a b G Storage
June 4, 2010 12:25:12 AM

No, you don't want to uninstall the Hitachi. That's your hard drive.

Have you right clicked on HPPAVILLIONDV600 and searched for new hardware? Did it find anything?

Look for the boot menu option (F1, F8, ESC, delete...etc?) when your starting up. Is your DVD drive listed?
July 4, 2010 2:56:58 PM

aford10 said:
No, you don't want to uninstall the Hitachi. That's your hard drive.

Have you right clicked on HPPAVILLIONDV600 and searched for new hardware? Did it find anything?

Look for the boot menu option (F1, F8, ESC, delete...etc?) when your starting up. Is your DVD drive listed?

I'm not the one who originally posted the problem, but I've got the same problem with my laptop not recognizing the CD/DVD drive. But my problem goes beyond that. When it happened before I was instructed to restart my computer, hit F8 immediately, then click on "last known configuration". This worked for me, until it later lost the drive again. My problem NOW, is that when I hit F8 at the start up, it totally shuts my computer off! EVERY TIME! Very frustrating, and of course this laptop is over a year old so I get no free help from HP.
a b α HP
a b G Storage
July 4, 2010 8:56:03 PM

Boppette54 said:
I'm not the one who originally posted the problem, but I've got the same problem with my laptop not recognizing the CD/DVD drive. But my problem goes beyond that. When it happened before I was instructed to restart my computer, hit F8 immediately, then click on "last known configuration". This worked for me, until it later lost the drive again. My problem NOW, is that when I hit F8 at the start up, it totally shuts my computer off! EVERY TIME! Very frustrating, and of course this laptop is over a year old so I get no free help from HP.

Can you boot into windows still? If yes, try running this fix it scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
!