China bans The Sims

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/26/china_game_ban/
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/26/china_game_ban/

Woohoo! They also banned a soccer game.

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/26/china_game_ban/

Yup. Too much woohoo. And you can have more than one child!

And you might *kill* someone.

-georg

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

Well...in case you don't know
China has got 1.5 billion people, so the whole "have one child" thing
is no longer practised.

I wonder if sites like China fan Sims, Sunair Sims...oh and Peggy Sims..
will they still be around I wonder?
I hope so...I love Peggy Sims..

--
- D

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:33:35 GMT, "D" <just@ask.com> wrote:

>Well...in case you don't know
>China has got 1.5 billion people, so the whole "have one child" thing
>is no longer practised.

It's because they have so many people that they instituted the
one-child policy. It hasn't been particularly successful, but it
hasn't been ended--in fact, news reports indicate that in some cases
it is enforced rather brutally.

BW

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/26/china_game_ban/

Ironic, since The Sims is all about controlling a bunch of people...

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

Well...if you say that it is enforced...ok
However it doesn't change the fact that they are still having kids
So it's the case of a law not being upheld...and so ...it really is
irrelevant.
Particularly successful? Can I run that number by you again? 1,298,847,624
people (from the CIA world factbook)
The number increases every year... I'm not saying that their one child
policy isn't weird or anything..
I'm just saying that it's not working..never has truly worked and never
will..

A lot of laws in China are not upheld...its driving the dictator crazy

I personally find their persecution that meditating group much more alarming
I really wish I could remember the name..but those people suffer so much
just because they pray and meditate
peacefully!

crazy...

--
- D

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, D wrote:
> I personally find their persecution that meditating group much more
> alarming I really wish I could remember the name..but those people suffer
> so much just because they pray and meditate peacefully!

...and organize political protests and try to tell the government what to
do (a big no-no in China), all the while whining about how they're not a
political organization [never mind how most of their overseas work is of a
political nature, attempting to increase their support and demonizing the
Chinese government]. Oh, and they seem to encourage their followers to
believe that meditation is better than medical care, which has led to a
number of deaths in China, and hence their banning...

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
> barbara@bookpro.com wrote:

>> It's because they have so many people that they instituted the
>> one-child policy. It hasn't been particularly successful, but it
>> hasn't been ended--in fact, news reports indicate that in some cases
>> it is enforced rather brutally.
>
> It's also really skewed their male-female ratio out of whack, because
> a lot of couples would not, er , keep their daughters. I think for
> under 20, it's like 60-40 male-female, maybe higher.

Actually, it's more like 54-46, which is skewed well enough to leave tens of
millions of Chinese men unmarried for the rest of their lives. It's a
pretty desperate situation in some cities.

D wrote:
> Well...in case you don't know
> China has got 1.5 billion people, so the whole "have one child" thing
> is no longer practised.

Well...in case you don't know

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

--
--Cuth

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:11:06 GMT, "D" <just@ask.com> wrote:

>Well...if you say that it is enforced...ok
>However it doesn't change the fact that they are still having kids
>So it's the case of a law not being upheld...and so ...it really is
>irrelevant.

Irrelevant? Tell that to the men who have trouble finding wives
because female babies are aborted or killed. Tell that to the female
babies, for that matter. And to the women who have to prove that they
are menstruating (from a news report I heard earlier). The
male/female ratio skew is the real problem that is likely to have real
implications in Chinese society.

I don't know what you expect the population to be even if it's only
partially successful--dropping like a rock? Not likely.

>Particularly successful?

To whom are you addressing this? Where did Jeremy claim anything
about its success or lack of success?

We responded to your statement that the one child policy is no longer
practiced. It is practiced--maybe not universally, maybe not with
great success, but if you make such a blanket statement, you shouldn't
be suprised if people point out that the blanket statement is not
correct.

BW

China's government has once again amazed me with what seems to be
severely disordered priorities... but that's just my opinion.

I thought that nothing could surprise me after I heard about the 1931
Chinese ban on the book Alice in Wonderland because, supposed quote of
gov. of Hunan province, animals should not use human language, and that
it was disastrous to put animals and human beings on the same level.

I mean, that would suggest that we live on the same planet, or
something, or that they're living things too.

I don't have anything against the people of China. Several of my best
friends came to America from China. I've heard great things about
China, and I think of China as a growing country, home sweet home to
millions of people.... but I hear things like this and I just have to
raise an eyebrow. I know it's not right of me to point a finger at
someone else's culture because it's in a completely different
context... but maybe I'm just missing the point.

Personally I think there are more important things to focus on than
banning video games.... FIFA 2005? That's a soccer/football game? I can
see how they might have some issues with children and material in The
Sims 2, but soccer?

Oh, and Wiki is about right with the One Child policy. It's not just
government-implied but also generally frowned upon to have more than
one / female children. I hear they're also having problems with lack of
females in some parts of India due to the females-being-frowned-upon
thing, not only in infanticide but also apparently uxoricide?
Er, I'm a little off topic...

"D" <just@ask.com> wrote in message
> Well...in case you don't know
> China has got 1.5 billion people, so the whole "have one child" thing
> is no longer practised.

According to this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_child_policy
the one child policy has been relaxed somewhat, but it is still the official
birth control policy. It's an interesting article if you've got time to read
it.

Iris McAlias wrote:
> "D" <just@ask.com> wrote in message
>
>>Well...in case you don't know
>>China has got 1.5 billion people, so the whole "have one child" thing
>>is no longer practised.
>>

> According to this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_child_policy
> the one child policy has been relaxed somewhat, but it is still the official
> birth control policy. It's an interesting article if you've got time to read
> it.

According to friends I have who live or have lived in China, it is
enforced in the cities pretty much, but in rural areas it's almost
impossible to enforce. Hence the discreptancy.

--
--Cuth

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:

>>Don't waste your breath arguing with a loon, Barbara.
>

> It was no waste. It gave me something fun to do while I was waking
> up.

I use Peet's Dark Roast to wake up, m'self. ;-)

--
--Cuth

On 29 Jan 2005 19:15:41 -0800, seaside.muses@gmail.com wrote:

>Personally I think there are more important things to focus on than
>banning video games.... FIFA 2005? That's a soccer/football game? I can
>see how they might have some issues with children and material in The
>Sims 2, but soccer?

If I remember correctly, this is because FIFA 2005 contains a
Taiwanese national team. Anything that recognises Taiwan as a country
in it's own right tends to offend China.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:59:56 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
<chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
>
>>>Don't waste your breath arguing with a loon, Barbara.
>>

>> It was no waste. It gave me something fun to do while I was waking
>> up.
>
>I use Peet's Dark Roast to wake up, m'self. ;-)

Nope, nope, don't like Peet's dark roast. Not crazy about dark roast
in general.

BW

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:43:43 GMT, Charles Whitney posted to
alt.games.the-sims-2:

> Actually, it's more like 54-46, which is skewed well enough to leave
> tens of millions of Chinese men unmarried for the rest of their lives.
> It's a pretty desperate situation in some cities.

And in China, if you're one in a million, there are 1300 people just like
you.

:)

--
"It's the year 2000...but where are the flying cars? I was promised flying
cars! I don't see any flying cars!" -- Avery Brooks