Multiple Disks as one with fault tolerance? (Not RAID)

I would like multiple Hard drives to appear as one big Hard drive without Doing RAID 0 or Dynamic Disk (Extended Partition) because if one drive fails in either of those arrays you lose everything. Is there a way to make multiple disks look like one big hard drive and if a drive fails only lose data on that one hard drive?
3 answers Last reply
More about multiple disks fault tolerance raid
  1. quiky87 said:
    Is there a way to make multiple disks look like one big hard drive and if a drive fails only lose data on that one hard drive?

Yes, its called RAID 5. Sorry dude. SAS RAID controllers seem to be the way to go these days.
  2. You can always use multiple disks as - separate multiple disks! Then when one goes you lose only its contents. However, you do have the inconvenience of specifying a drive letter at the start of a folder specification sequence.

Closest thing to what you want is, as canadian69 says, RAID5. Requires at least 3 matched HDD's, classic configuration is 5. Because of data redundancy, 5 HDD's gives you 4 HDD's of actual usable space. Lose one disk and you can replace it, then rebuild the entire dataset without loss but it takes time. Lose 2 disks almost simultaneously and you do lose everything! (Rare, but I saw it once - thank goodness the professional IT staff had a GOOD backup system used properly!) For that rare event you can consider RAID6. I do agree that RAID0 carries increased risk of losing it all, and for what I consider minimal performance benefit.
  3. Depending on your operating system version you may have a software RAID option as well. Forgot to mention that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage