Can a defective Motherboard damage memory

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I had problems with my old PC, it wouldn't post. I had gigabyte tech support on the line and their tech, had me pull the memory and then he listened, over the phone to the beep codes produced. He was certain that it was a defective MB, so I sent it in. I'm now building a PC, for my sis-in-law, using the returned MB. It is acting better, but it still won't post with the old memory, either stick. But it will post with memory from my new PC. Before you say Ahah, the memory must have been the original culprit. That old MB was acting weird, shutting down after ten seconds, strange beep codes and such. So I am confident the MB was defective. But I find it strange that both sticks of my old memory could fail at the same time. So I'm wondering if a defective MB can fry memory. I've got it plugged into a UPS so I know a lightening strike didn't fry things, any opinions?

Thanks

Tom

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
I did that, when I was building the new PC. It didn't work, it should have. Thought it was an incompatibility issue, not bad memory.

Tom

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

I had the same problem with my Asus Maximus II formula when it died. The tech support guy insisted that a dead motherboard cannot damage memory, but both 2 Gb sticks failed, plus a 1 Gb stick I used to try to get it to post.