How was your experience with Gigabyte's RMA department

artdrivers

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
This is my first post entry at this forum, so please!
My Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev1.1 would not shut down at the shut down screen. Than it smoked I shut it off with the switch on the power supply. I proceeded to reboot, nothing fans spin no boot, can't shut off. I then tried to hold the power button in 5,10,15 seconds nothing had to turn the main switch on the power supply off. I guess I fried something here I removed the power supply cpu graphics cards ram, everything. They all checked out ok on another board. I guess it's the motherboard. I contacted Gigabyte rma department and sent the board priority mail on April 15 2009. Delivered the 17th at 11:56 am. I will let you know how it goes. here. Has anyone else used the Gigabyte RMA department and would let us know how your experience was? I would like to here from others on this issue.

r_manic

Administrator
Years ago Gigabyte RMA sent a replacement MB with thermal grease smeared all over the socket! LIke gobs of butter on hot toast. I spent about an hour or so trying to clean it up. I wouldn't install a board that 'sloppy' in my machines or anyone else's. Finally the more time I spent trying to clean it the madder I got. I gave up and emailed their RMA department that the board was not acceptable. Sent it back. Gigadud's RMA replacement was definately better for the trash than the computer. They should fix this kind of warranty service. Like if the company has nothing decent to send out, give cash credit for the purchase of something new from their line. I don't know if it was their support personnell who slopped thermal grease all over the thing or not. I'm guessing it was. Never purchased from them again. It's been five or six years ago. GL.

artdrivers

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

Does Gigabyte have an upgrade exchange program? I should have gotten the 790fx, but I have already purchased this one. We don't always know if a board or chipset is good or not. This one sounds like they are having alot of problems with the northbridge heat. I see they have doubled the copper in the pcb and went to lower rds mosfets and ferrite core chokes. The core choke next to my cpu at the top of the board burnned my finger one time when I was pushing a wire out of the way. Maybe all of these changes they made were because the earlier boards were overheating so much? :??:

If you read the warranty, the company does not guarantee to send out a new MB at all. Just a 'replacement'. So, don't expect to get a shiny new RMA replacement part. In fact, if the company does so much as boot the board with mininum hardware required to get in to BIOS, that's what to expect as to the extent of the replacement. So if a SATA controller or DIMM slot is non functional, oh well. They send out their 'tested' boards other customers have sent in as defective. The company gives a three year warranty, but sends out 'used' replacement boards under the warranty. LIke I said, they have no choice once the board goes out of production during the length of warranty. Yeah, it was thick, silver thermal grease smeared every where like someone was fingerpainting. Imposible to remove completely as it stained the socket even if cleaned repeatedly.

r_manic

Administrator
Used replacement items are a sad fact of life for dealing with lots of brands, not just Gigabyte. That's why I always pray that any purchase is lemon-free. How'd your RMA process go artdrivers?

artdrivers

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I got my board back today repaired as expected. It runs 4°C 0r 5°C hotter on the system temperatures than it was running before rma. I believe it won't last very long like this. But what do I know They repaired it, and I installed it back into my case and I am using it now. We will see. I'll let you know.