Sign in with
Your question

Is this ok?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 9, 2010 5:48:59 AM

I am wondering if these numbers sound right. I'll start off by saying I ran 9.5 hours of Prime95 last night and appear to be fully stable.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Asus Crosshair IV
8GB Corsair Dominator ddr3-1333 7-7-7-20 (running @ 9-9-9-24)

20x multiplier - 4Ghz
vcore is set to 1.3625 (sits at 1.36 @ idel, 1.38-1.40 @ 100% load)

I am running a Lancool PC-K62 w/ThermalrightUltra 120 Extreme heatsink.

In a room that is about 21-22C, I see the highest temp under 100% load (Prime95) is 55C, 48C when the room got down to 19-20C. (side note: I idi a poor job with the thermal paste, and will be redoing it tomorrow)

I get 22xxx in cinebench r10, 7.03 in cinebench R11.5

does this sound right, is that too much of a voltage spike, it always seems to be a tad higher than I set it in the BIOS, which is why I set it @ 1.3625 instead of 1.8xxx.

this is my first cpu overclock since my previous 754 socket mobo. how have I done?

More about : question

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2010 6:22:00 AM

Well, the temps look just fine. The maximum temperature of the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, and other Phenom II X6/X4 CPUs is 62°C. Critical is around above 55°C but that was just for a short period of time when your ambient was at around 19°C.
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2010 6:32:27 AM

looks fine, as you said you are expecting to re-apply the TIM you should be able to knock a couple degrees off. and those temps are around what i would expect at that OC level.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 9, 2010 6:35:32 AM

how about the volts, I read on AMD's website the vcore max was 1.40, but that was a mistake I just realized now that I have found the technical document that has the right numbers, 1.475 max Vcore, although I don't think I'll go over 1.45Vcore, even with a better cooling setup, hopefully I can lower temps by having another go at the thermal compound. if I manage to get better temps, that means I can continue increasing the multiplier, right (assuming I stay below 55C and below 1.45v)?

and I mean to say 1.38, not 1.8. now I just have to save for the 4GB 5970, and I will have a solid system.
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2010 7:01:09 AM

the max voltage is only really a guideline, the voltage itself is not what harms the chip, its the heat.

so you can go above that voltage if needed so long as the temps stay under control.

once you have that GPU, your system will be more than 'solid'...
May 9, 2010 3:36:40 PM

I don't think right now I am going to try to get more out of it, I am happy at the 4Ghz mark, but would be very happy with lower temps at that mark. The thermalright thermal compound says to spread it on to both surfaces, I have heard that is not the best way, would the cross method be best?
a b K Overclocking
May 10, 2010 3:33:05 AM

i tend to put a small amount on the chip, which i then spread with gladwrap or a similar thin plastic. make sure the whole chip has a very thin even coat. then apply a small drop about the size of a grain of rice in the center, which the weight of the HS will spread fairly evenly.

i find this is the best way to make sure that the whole chip has contact without caking it with TIM.
!