GA-MA790GP-DS4H and AMD Phenom II X3 720

tushart

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Yes I know they're compatible but I just want to confirm one thing.

They won't work together straight away will they? Because the motherboard requires the BIOS version to be F3 on it. SO you'll actually need a 2nd CPU compatible with F1 BIOS (assuming all Gigabyte motherboards are sold with F1 only) to update it to F3 before the X3 720 can be used. Am I right?

I've just bought the UD4H which supports the 720 with F1, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. But I'd just like to know for the future. Thanks.

r_manic

Administrator
Yes, the mobo needs to run with a compatible CPU before its BIOS can be updated.

But AFAIK, manufacturers keep their newest stock updated anyway, so I think this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

^+1.
That's the way it should be done. You can update with an "unknown" processor, but i wouldn't recommend it.
On some motherboards, you can replace the bios chip with a newer one. That is if it is not soldered in.

bilbat

Splendid
This is an ongoing mystery - on some MOBOs you can get away with using an unsupported chip just for a BIOS burn - on some you can't. My guess would be that it involves how large the microcode changes are between steppings, and, just as hard to find out, what kind of instructions are executed during the flash process. My policy (at least, with Intels before the i7, when it was fairly cheap to do...) has been to keep an inexpensive Celeron (~$50) in the box, on the shelf, just for updating w/o risk. Worst you can do is 'brick' the board, & have to wait for an RMA...

G

my DS4h shipped with F2 (that was ~3 months ago) and recognized my PII 940 as Unknown
had no trouble flashing it to F3 with Qbios and a usb stick

tushart

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
So in summary while some motherboards can still support CPUs as "unknown processor" just long enough for you to be able to update the BIOS, it's generally advisable to always do it with a fully compatible CPU.

That's fair enough. Thanks for the replies guys.