HD4830 or Hd4870

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I can either buy a single HD4830 now and buy one or two more in a year and run them in crossfire or i can buy a single HD4870 and probs give it a two year run, whats more future proof?

Well, you could also get another 4870 later. Nothing is future-proof, but the 4870 offers more future-resistance. Is your PSU up to the task? A quality 500W unit is recommended for a single HD4870.

If you are on a stricked budget, get what you can afford. The 4850 is the BEST value, however the 4870 will perform better. 2 4850's in Crossfire is a REALLY good value as well. But you have to make sure your PSU is able to power that setup. Can you guve us your PSU specs?

I just ordered this one. I have a GTX 260 that I am sending back today that keeps crashing my system. When it works it doesn really give THAT much of an improvement over my formet 8800GTS/512. I think its because it relys on the CPU alot and needs that power. It runs awesome in my buddies i7 system. But if you have a moderate or older system the 4800's are the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
well i have an Antec earthwatts 500 so it should be able to handle any of the cards as a single but i doubt it can do the crossfire il just have to upgrade alot and well i got a Core 2 Duo but i'm planning on overclocking it soon to about 3.5GHZ maybe more if im lucky... anyways so people say the HD4850? can i ask is it reallllly worth buying a 1gb version?? and by the way i dont live in the USA so have no NewEgg only decent thing we have here is Novatech...

I thing the 1GB version might get you better performance at higher resolutions for a little extra money. If you are on a budget just get the 512MB, if you have a few extra bucks to throw at the 1GB go for it.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I only game at 1650x1050 on a 22" monitor although i do have a few nice spare 32" TVs downstairs so i would like the possibilty of connnecting them up too randomly... yeah so anyways i take it the verdict is a HD4850 because of my budget and if im lucky get 1gb version? whats the best Vendor??

unless those 32" TV's are 1080P they would have a lower resolution than your 22" so I wouldn't worry to much. The 512 would do fine if you are on a budget.

Best Vendor? ehh depends on who you ask. Sapphire is the most popular and they are good, I've heard people have issues if they every need a warranty replacement.

HIS has by far the BEST cooling solutions in my opinion, but you usually pay a few bucks for it.

I just ordered an ASUS 4870 1GB which has really good reviews. I'd shoot for something that at least has an aftermarket cooling solution. Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, PowerColor. As long as it has a good cooler you are good. Also, if you get an OCed card it will cost a little more.

If I were on a budget and wanted a good card, I'd get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

Why don't you try ebuyer.com, or scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk. I find Novotech is overpriced and has a very small range of products. Not only that they will for ever send you junk emails even if you unsubscribe just becuaes you bought one stupid thing from them. In fact I very much hate novotech. Didn't like the service either.