Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Specs:
3.0ghz duo core (at stock
4gb ddr2 dual channel ram
windows xp
500 watt power supply
EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 512mb with the latest drivers

Anyway, I am having an issue with crysis. I can play the game, it is recommended I play it on high which I do, I get about 29-40 frames per second. I can play for about a half hour or so then the game goes blank my monitor shuts off (get "no signal") and then my computer freezes and I am forced to reboot.

I searched around and I am the only one who has had this issue. Is this an overheating issue? Should I run the game on lower settings even though I feel I shouldn't have too? Any possible solutions?

Are you monitoring your CPU and GPU temps? That should let you know if you have an overheating issue.

Try running that game @ 800x600 resolution in a window. Lower settings first, then moving up in steps to max graphics quality.
If thats successful try moving up to 1024x768 and do testing there.

I see you specify a 500w power supply, just curious what brand/model it is. I know the card recommends a 400w PSU but 26A on the 12v rails. Just want to make sure it's getting enough juice. Also, Crysis will make any card cower to it's knees. It will heat up a card more than any other game. My first though is you have heating issues.

Questions:
1) do you have good case airflow? what is your fan setup?
2) how long have you had the card?
3) does it have the stock oem cooler? Im refering to the 1 slot cooler.
4) is this the OC version or just plain vanilla card?

Also try using something to monitor your temps in the game like WR2 said. I use RivaTuner and I setup the On Screen Display. Its a nice application even if you do not overclock. I have mine setup to display FPS and temp.

yobigd20

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Sounds like gpu overheating. Like WR2 said, check out your temps using gpuz. If you are running above 80-85'C when you are gaming I'd say its a heating issue. You can use GPUZ to run in the background and log to a file. So I would run it several times and monitor the temps and it consistantly keeps raising and shutting off around a certain value then you know its your gpu.

Miraho

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I do monitor my temps, it never gets above 55-60 C for the computer. I will monitor the graphics card.
I have stock fans at the moment non upgraded. However case flow is nice, and I have a 90 mm case fan I will put it in when I have time.

I am using a regular non overclocked fan on the video card, I was thinking about upping the fan to max since its not on its no where near that, but EVGA Precision is not letting me adjust it.

I was doing more searching and found out I am not the only one who has this issue.

The computer and the graphics card is new, 1 week old

Miraho

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
500 watt power supply, pretty sure its a rosewell. It is hooked to both 4 pin connectors and should have enough power correct since its 400 W recommended for single use and 450 for sli.

chiggenwingz

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Got the same symptoms on my pc recently.

System seemed to be running fine for the past few weeks only recently the screens would just shut off.

AMD Phenom II 945
DFI LanParty JR 790GX
4Gb of Ram (with big chunky heatsinks)
Asus Radeon 4970 Dark Knight cooler
ThermalTake 750W QFan power supply
OCZ Vertex SSD
Two 120mm fans blowing air through and out the back of the case, so my computer should NEVER has over heating issues as I'm a nazi when it comes to keeping my systems cool.

Basically while playing Left 4 Dead, the screens would shut off, I would check my computer, the graphic card fan has stopped and 3 red lights have gone on. (part of the asus 4970)

Replaced graphic card with spare Radeon 2600, and same thing sort of happened when playing WoW. Screens went blank (graphic card fan stayed on). My brother was copying files at the time and there we continuing to copy even after the screens died.

Checked temp on hard ware components, and nothing felt hot to the touch. So it doesnt seem to be an over heating issue.

Miraho

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Having solved this problem over and over now I can safely say we need more information.

What kind of case do you have?
Run GPU-Z and post the temperature during peak performance.

Your not overclocking your graphics card are you?

What size case do you have?

Do you have wires running amuck in your case disrupting air flow?

chiggenwingz

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
No over clocking either graphic card.

Case airflow is fine, I work on PCs all the time at work and have to make sure they can deal well in warm environments. My case has 2 fans at the front pushing through to the back, where there are vent holes and another fan sucking out. Not to mention holes at the side of the CPU and graphic card. (Of which I have covered up but made litte temp difference)

At peak noticed radeon 4870 was about 75deg Cel
the 2600 hit 57deg.

This was using the stress test program "OCCT" http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/

Note, doing the GPU test in OCCT also caused the problem.

About to change graphic cards to NVidia 7950 to see what happens

angeknight

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I am also having this problem. Like the first post my graphics/sound crash and then the monitors shut off and i am forced to shut the pc by holding the power button down. The temps on the cards have been measured and other games reach the same temps. i am running a crossfire of 4870s. I have yet to find a solution for this problem. This problem only happens for me when trying to run crisis.

chiggenwingz

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I basically had to open up the side of my case and cool the crazy out of the 4870

A friend at work is also getting stability problems with his 4870. Basically you need to keepo them a lot cooler than their average temp for any sort of reliability.

That and also I had a dodge motherboard at the time. But even after that was replaced I still had graphic card problems

lancelot712

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have a brand new XFX 4770 and am experiencing the same type of crash where in game my system freezes and then crashes turning the monitor to a black screen. This is also my second card after RMA the first one which I thought was just a faulty card. When the second one came I was shocked to see the same problems which led me to believe it was something else....Then I came across many people with 4 and 5 series cards experiencing the same issue.

My specs are:
64 bit windows 7
4 GB DDR3 Ram
650 W corsair Power supply
Asrock mobo
2.9 Tri Core processor.

I thought it was just the ATI 4 and 5 series cards so it is very troubling to see someone with a 9800 nvidia card experience the same crash since I was thinking of returning the 4770 for a 9800 GTX+.

Urb-Warrior

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

I was having the same issue of the monitor signal switching off causing a black screen
You may find that turning V-sync off in graphics options could solve this issue.
Well it did for me hope it dose for you ..

Status
Not open for further replies.