Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezing during games, beeps on restart.

Last response: in Components
March 12, 2009 8:48:57 PM

Hi, my power supply blew up on me the other day, so I put in a backup PSU of mine. It is an Antec 500w, and was my previous PSU, and it performed up until I got a better PSU for SLI'd GFX cards. My original PSU was an Antec TruePower Quattro 850w. I am currently waiting for a replacement PSU from Antec.

The trouble is that whenever I am playing any game, the computer ends up freezing entirely. Now this is not a huge worry to me, as I can live without having games to play, but the part that worries me, and the point of this thread, is what happens when I restart from this freeze up. Both drive bays light up as if they are being read by the hard drive, and then the beeper makes one long beep follow three short beeps, like morse code.

Is this something I should be worried about? The computer does start up fine after being completely shut off with the power switch and/or the power button on the front of the case. I thought perhaps it was a problem with the PSU only being able to barely power the computer, but after some research that does not seem to be the case.

My system specs are as follows:

-AMD Athlon 64x 6400+ socket AM2
-Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe Mobo
-4 gigs OCZ SLI ready RAM
-Nvidia 9600 GT Overclocked Edition (Removed one due to backup PSU)
-Soundblaster Extreme Music
-2x SATA Hard Drives
-2x DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drives

Any suggestions as to why the game freeze-ups are happening and what those beeps mean would be much appreciated.
March 12, 2009 9:04:47 PM

The motherboard manual should tell you what the beeps mean...
Does it lock up with skippin/repeatin audio? Been there before , i blamed the PowerSupply but could be bad drivers as well.
That kinda problem for me always came back to the PowerSupply. I blamed my CPU and i think yours as well , doesn't it require at least 125watts?
m
l
March 12, 2009 10:06:12 PM

doormatderek said:
The motherboard manual should tell you what the beeps mean...
Does it lock up with skippin/repeatin audio? Been there before , i blamed the PowerSupply but could be bad drivers as well.
That kinda problem for me always came back to the PowerSupply. I blamed my CPU and i think yours as well , doesn't it require at least 125watts?

Actually, the manual has nothing on that topic, other than where to place the speaker....

Yes, the freezing does involve repeating audio. I just recently updated my drivers, so I doubt that is the problem. The power supply is what I was focusing on. According to the tool on Antec's website, this 500w Power supply is enough to run this computer. I could be wrong and so could Antec, but the computer runs fine except when playing games and that little beeping thing on restart.
m
l
Related resources
March 12, 2009 11:35:37 PM

for one of my mother boards that beep code signifies a key board error. Look yours up on the web........ could be different.
m
l
March 12, 2009 11:50:30 PM

I checked a few websites on beep error codes, and they all seemed to say that the long then three short beep code meant bad RAM. Luckily I my original RAM that I have installed and we'll see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'm completely stumped.
m
l
March 13, 2009 12:21:14 AM

The new RAM did not solve the problem. Anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point....
m
l
March 13, 2009 12:51:24 AM

try 1 stick of ram. Try it in another slot. Try a different stick...put that in different slots. Swap out video cards. try that in either slot.. try plugging the key board in a different usb port... all boards have different codes which means different things. I saw 3 different problems with that same code with different bioses. keep trying.
m
l
March 23, 2009 12:26:49 AM

Motherboards with Awards BIOS , 1 long beep, 3 short beeps signifies video card problem. I currently have this issue too, going to get the video card tested by the place i bought it from and possibly get it replaced with my warranty.

Nice card too GTX295.
m
l
March 25, 2009 6:20:41 PM

Well, I finally solved the problem! Just took out the current vid card and put in my second 9600gt. Started up fine, no beeps on startup, but on restart it was doing this. Moved my RAM to slots 2 & 4 and reset the CMOS. Runs fine one more! Thanks for the help and tips everyone!
m
l
!