Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the Intel X25-M still the best boot drive?

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2010 3:13:29 AM

Hey everyone, I plan to buy an SSD very soon for my new PC build, and was just wondering if the intel X25-M was still the best way to go for a boot drive. The other option I was looking at was the OCZ Vertex 2, and while I realize it's a much faster sequential drive, that doesn't seem very important for an OS/Application drive. In addition, the X25-M has a slightly larger capacity, which just makes the decision even harder.

What do you all think would be the best choice for a boot/application drive?

More about : intel x25 boot drive

June 4, 2010 4:45:03 AM

I just ordered my OCZ Vertex 2 not 10 mins ago. I am obviously pretty excited, so excited I paid for a rush order. =) I have been researching SSD's for about a week now. I was contemplaiting a Intel X25-M G2 80gb but it just wasnt in my price range of less than $200. My honest opinion is that the Intel X25M Line is a tad outdated compaired to the newer drives. I may be wrong since I am fairly new into SSD's but from benchmark tests I noticed for the money, you cant go wrong with a Vertex 2. If 50gb isnt enough(doubtful) you can always raid them. Since I have a very high performance computer and the Vertex 2 is classifyed as a high preformance drive(X25-M is mainstream for average users, from what I have read). I have always been brought up with computers and the idea that you computer is only as fast as the slowest part. (HDD) So SSD's are a huge upgrade, I was torn between the same ones as you but, preformance won in this case, and price. There ya go, my two cents.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 4, 2010 3:54:18 PM

As far as performance goes, the X25-M G2 is no longer the top dog. HOWEVER, it still holds it's own in benchmarks (esp. random read/write). Another thing you may want to consider is the fact that the X25 G2 has been out for a while and used by quite a lot of people (including me) and so far there haven't been any major problems with the X25 M.

Quote:
(X25-M is mainstream for average users, from what I have read)

Far from it. The X25-M G2 still keeps up or beats some of these new "enthusiast" drives. For an OS drive, 4K Read/Write is THE most important factor when it comes to SSDs; and here Intel still pwns many.

Check out the various Anandtech benchmarks for SSDs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3681/oczs-vertex-2-specia...

Anandtech has a very thorough and detailed reviews for SSDs. He's pretty much THE authority on SSDs currently.
Related resources
June 4, 2010 6:07:21 PM

Best answer selected by cacto.
m
l
June 4, 2010 6:11:17 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Another thing you may want to consider is the fact that the X25 G2 has been out for a while and used by quite a lot of people (including me) and so far there haven't been any major problems with the X25 M.

Thanks for your reply, and I think I'll end up going with the X25-M. I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, but I've been hearing some things about the SF-1200 controller in the OCZ 2 drives, and I would much rather go with something tried and true here, even though it may not entirely be the fastest.
m
l
!