Help please,System fans won't slow down after start up

copperhead1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Hey guys,

I turned on my computer today and noticed that my front(cpu) and rear system fans (both 120mm) wouldn't slow down after their initial full speed that they do after each start up and reboot. The video card fan wound down but the system fans never did. Everything was running fine up until now and I haven't done any changes to the system/bios etc. The front 120mm fan channels the air through the cpu's heatsink. The rear system fan is of the same size and changes speed when things warm up. For whatever reason they turned on full blast and never returned to idle.

Only thing I do are regular updates to my graphics card (nvidia).

I had my stuff backed up and decided to do a complete system factory recovery thinking maybe the bios got corrupted somehow. Well it's loading all the software at the moment but still the fans are running full speed after a reboot or two.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean something has gone back with an internal component.

I'm sorry i'm not the best with computers so I'll try to get more info if someone asks, but right now it's reloading everything.

Thanks guys

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Case fans are not controlled by the bios. Just the CPU and your video card fans are usually controlled by the bios or some other software.

If you have small 80 mm fans then that is your problem. They are usually loud. I have 120mm fans that spin rather slow and they are very quiet. You can buy fans that you can control with a switch or a turn knob that way you can control their speed.

Also some fans are not as loud as others. It depends on the quality and size of the fan.

copperhead1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have explained my system a little better. The Gateway FX530 has a 120mm front fan which channels air over the cpu (in this case q6600) acting as the processor fan. I would guess this would still have to be controlled by the bios in order to maintain temperature or am I wrong? The rear system fan is a 120mm fan as well and is hooked into the motherboard and would seem to be temperature controlled by something since it speeds up when things warm up.

So, I guess my question is, why would both fans remain at full speed instead of dropping back to idle which they have always done? So is that not a bios function? I don't know how else to explain both the front and rear fans running at max without them being controlled by the same thing.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Here I think I found the solution. Check out the link. Looks like they are controlled by the bios. I guess they plug directly into the motherboard instead of the molex. Good luck.

http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-2439912445.shtml

copperhead1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks, I downloaded the latest driver from Gateway's website and upon install, the intel bios install said I have the current bios. So I didn't go through with it. I figured when I used the system recovery to reinstall everything to factory settings that it would correct the fan speed issue but it still hasn't. I'm wondering if something could have gotten damaged to cause this. i don't know what though. I have a 9800gt that runs a little hot but never had issues with the computer ever shutting down so I don't think that would be it. Pretty strange.

Would intalling the BIOS again possibly correct the issue or just cause more headaches?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I wouldn't do it. If you have the current bios then leave it alone.

Read the sixth paragraph in this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2924&p=4

Maybe the problem is that the cpu is heating up too quickly and it is causing the fans to kick into high speed right away. Maybe you have a CPU heat problem that is causing the problem........

Not sure what else to tell you. Try google. I found the info by tying in "Gateway FX530 heat problems or fan speed problems" Do a little searching or post in a gateway forum and maybe someone there might have the same system. Did you try resetting the bios to default>? Do a little searching in the bios and see if there is anything in there you can set or reset.