shadyadi32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hi all,

Would like to ask for some advice regarding my new cpu upgrade.

The problem im having is that after ive installed my new Intel e8500 cpu the computer keeps restarting after windows (xp) has loaded up. I upgraded my Bios to revision 1301 from 0805 using the Asus updater program.I first saved the bios to my flash drive then used the asus program to install the new bios revision 1301.After installation of the new bios everything seemed to be ok with my old set-up,which included a p4 3.4gig processor with 2 gig of corsair (xms2 dhx) 800mhz ram.After i had installed my new processor(intel core 2 duo 3.16ghz,fsb 1333mhz) and restarted my system it all started to go wrong.

The bios recognized my processor and windows managed to load,but while it was loading my start-up programs,i got the blue screen and then it re-started,and kept on re-starting everytime it got to the same stage. So now ive had to put my old processor back in and everything works fine now.

What i need to know is how to sucessfully install this e8500 processor?

Which is the best way to flash my bios?

What would be the best bios to use? (the 1 i have now is 1301) And any other information which would help me to install my new processor.

Would also like to know if anybody has had the same problem? And if so how did you correct it?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Adi...................

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I think you are going to have to do a repair install of windows.
It is still trying to use the old processor and the new one may have to use a
different Hardware Abstraction Layer.
Doing the repair install will fix that and leave everything else alone.

chinh_n

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
ADI,

best way to flash bios is EZ flash utlity and version 1301 should be good for your cpu. It seems like your operating system is not liking the hardware changes on the system. try running in safe mode and do a regular shutdown to get system to recognize the hardware. if that doesn't work , then do what Pat suggest by repairing your copy of WINDOWS.

shadyadi32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks for your input guys,its much appreciated,but dont you think i should clear the cmos? What i need to know is what is the best way to do this?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
To clear the cmos the easiest way is to unplug the machine.
Press the power button to remove any residual power.
Take out the battery for 15 secs and replace.
Plug in and turn on.

While you are inside the case look at the sticker on your memory as it should say the voltage that it runs at.
If it is 1.95V or higher you will need to go into the bios when you reboot and set it to that voltage.