Is the Hyper 212 Plus good enough?

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Maybe I should have worded the question more accurately, but that's all I could think of. Is the Hyper 212 Plus good enough to get an i7 860 to 4GHz? I'd much rather get it than the H50 as that would save me $40, but i want that 4GHz. So does anyone know if it can/if it can get a comparable processor to/ just can't do it? Thanks.

Well, I've seen from newegg reviews (they're not too bad if you can tell which ones aren't written by those who are computer illiterate) that some people have got to 4.0GHz on a Core i5 and 4.0GHz on a Core i7 965. Just make sure you spread the thermal paste well and have good airflow in your case.

Take a look of this picture:

oc4020.jpg

By saint1926 at 2010-04-03

P.D. Yeah, with a Hyper 212+

I can get my i5 up to 3.6 GHz (haven't tried higher, I wanted a stock volts OC) and my Hyper 212+ with just the single stock fan (not even at max speed) keeps core temps below 57C. So with the stock 212 fan it is probably possible, with two fans definitely.

Just to add on, it depends on your ambient room temps as well. For example, I'm in a basement so it's cool - consistenly 24C. At 3.7ghz my temps top out at about 57. I had it at 3.8ghz (200x19) and temps were around mid 60s - I decided to go lower not because of temps, but to stay within Intel's voltage specs (VTT was too high for that base clock).

Now, I'm not using the Hyper 212+, but that is a well rated cooler and basically as good as you'll get on air (within a couple degrees). So basically, if it's not enough, your only option left is water cooling and that's way more expensive.

EDIT: About the GPU. If ran for a while it will increase case temp unless you turn up the case fans. If noise is an issue for you it's worth considering - if it's not then no worries. I keep all my fans at low and I've only seen my case temp go up by 3C under high GPU usage. My case has 2 80 mm front, 1 80mm rear, 1 120mm top and some ventilation openings at the rear, side, and front (Antec 900 II)

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Fair enough. I might eventually replace both fans (well, replace one and add another) with a couple of the NZXT fans that will match the case fans and my life wil be complete. Well... What about the H50? Is it worth the extra $50 for?

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Ehh, there are too many other coolers that outperform the H50 for around the same price. That NH-D14 looks very appealing, it has pretty much the lowest temps out of all of them. Hmmmmm...