OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Ok so I am building my Mom a comp for Christmas (yeah i know, easier to buy a prebuilt, but I wanted to build it).

I chose the following parts:

ASRock P45TurboTwins2000

Saphire ATI HD 3870

Gskill 4gb DDR2 800

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5Ghz

The system posts ok and gets to boot windows it says "Windows failed to start..." blah blah blah you know the message.

No matter what I choose (safe mode or normal) it then restarts and posts again then coming up with a message "Operating system error" or something like that, I'm not sure what the exact message is.

I am using an extra power supply that I had (So I know it is good and more than capable for this system).

The only reused parts are the hard drives, both IDE drives that still work when I put them back in the old system.

I'm not sure why it's doing this and I have checked and rechecked the cables to make sure everything is connected.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was extremely busy yesterday.

That guide is for transfering the OS and all files from one hard drive to another. In this case I am reusing the hard drives (there are two, both IDE).

I do not wish to transfer Windows to a new Hard drive.

Is there anything else it could be?

I did put the hard drives back in the old comp, downloaded and installed the latest catalyst drivers from ATI.

If you need any other info, please let me know.

You should backup any important personal data files, format the drives, and re-install Windows. It's not as easy as moving a HD with a working OS from one computer to another. The Windows installation, registry, and drivers are all for the hardware on your old computer.

matm1234

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Easy fix i deal with this all the time.. Like shortstuff says.. back up everything you want/need onto disks hopefully you dont need to much or this might be harder but anyways. GO to ur bios and set ur Primary boot to CD-ROM and restart the computer with your com.. Start er up and reinstall your os.. ofcourse when the blue screen comes up and shows ur 1 or two drives however many you have make sure you delete both from any past information.. I think it goes D,enter,L like the series to delete both drives.. Then hopefully the windows youve installed will work.. It sounds like just some retarted windows error or you didnt completely blank the drives before reinstalling.. Just because you go onto your computer and clean the drives of anything doesnt mean that everything is gone. .Only surefire way to know is to redo it all. Lastly if this doesnt fix your problem then hardware issues might be the problem or a faulty windows disk.