Adding a 8-in1 digital media manager to dell GX280

bozman2010

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hi,
I have a 8-in-1 media manager taken from a broken emachines T3410. The wife would like to have this on her Dell GX280 because she would like to just pop in her sd card into the computer to view whatever. I don't see a connection on the motherboard that I may attach the hardware onto. How can it be done?

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

The media manager should have a USB peripheral. And every motherboard today does have USB connections. Check once again.
I assume that the media manager does have USB. If not, you have to tell us which medium it is using.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
The Media Manager is an internal face plate mounted card reader, so I'm not even sure how you would phically install this into the front of the Dell, but for arguments sake lets say you can get it to fit into a 5.25" bay or something. Internally the Media Manager requires (what looks like) an 8 or 10 pin USB HDR connection on the motherboard, which the GX280 doesn't seem to have. Although the GX280 does have front panel USB connectors, that chassis is connected to a proprietor connector on the motherboard which also supports the audio and power and leds etc.

I mean I could be wrong of course, but I do not see the required connectivity. Any other motherboard and you could just follow the front panel USB cable back to the motherboard and switch it with the media manager and it would likely work.