What would work better, 1 big SSD or 2 SSD, 1 for os, and 1 for games

stealthstyle

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

to better explain what i mean, I was looking at getting a 64 gb SSD and putting win 7 and games on it, or getting 2 32gb's 1 for an OS and 1 for Games.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Well, putting games on an SSD will generally not result in higher fps than if you have them on a decent harddrive. The loading times might be a bit faster, but the fps will remain the same.

A modern OS will however benefit hreatly from an SSD drive, faster loadup, quicker response time etc.

Furthermore, isn't 32GB a bit small? A few games and it'll be full....

I think your best bet would be to get a 64GB for a boot drive and then get a fast HDD and put your games and data on that one.

Go for one 80Gb as a minimum. You're not going to be able to install anything on the 80Gb one other than the OS (Windows), Photoshop (CS4), Adobe (Full Version 9), Microsoft Office 2007 Complete, you mail configured, into Outlook, a good antivirus, a few good browsers, a few music players, ..... that's about it since you need atleast 20Gb free for data which you might keep shifting onto a 7200RPM drive .....
That's about the basic set of programs which I've listed, I guess any standard user has these on to fool around with.
So that's about it, if you over crowd the drive it's going to slow down the pc, and that you don't want.
I give one up to Cobot for the SSD plus HDD idea

titdoctor

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008

Unless that game likes pagefile memory or its huge and spreads files everywhere on your hdd. Of course it won't affect your framerate but could help some hiccups and stuttering.