Matching DDR2 memory frequency to overclocked FSB

chajadan

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I have an Asus P5B Deluxe and am about to place an Intel Q9650 in it with some overclocking. The memory I have in my system is 2x512MB DDR2-800. The Q9650 defaults to 9x333, so if I push this up to 9x400, from what I understand it should still support my current memory in a 1:1 ratio to FSB. My question is, can I push the FSB any further at all past 400 and still support DDR2-800? Or is anyone familiar with this mobo and can tell me if I can upgrade the memory to support a higher FSB? My manual only indicates support through

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I have great news, you can run your memory slower if you have to. Check Tom's Hardware's review of that board, it tells you all the applicable ratios.

OK, so you don't want to run a ratio lower than 1:1? You can still overclock your memory. Chances are, Tom's Hardware reviewed your memory and the review will tell you how to overclock it.

Now, if you don't want to O/C your memory, there is DDR2-1066 out there, you can buy it, and it will work. Why will it work? Because your board will know that it's actually DDR2-800. These memory companies have been overclocking their own products for years.

chajadan

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Thank you for that info. Reading some articles gave me more information about memory overclocking. I had been put under the impression that DDR2-800 rated memory literally could not run if the FSB was higher than 400, but this may never have been the case. I'm currently running an FSB of 266 with my memory at 445 (a 3:5 ratio), so I would hope that if I run the q9650 at 9x445 (overclocking from 3.0GHz to 4.0) that the memory could still run at 445 (in a 1:1 ratio), a frequency at which it is currently stable, albeit with a much lower FSB rate currently in place. Hopefully that is exactly how it will play out.

Thanks
--charlie

baldsak

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

how did it go? i got similar setup and wont boot if i tweak anything