Overclock my computer

G

Hello,
Overclocking sounds all too complicated to me... so I was wondering if anyone could just make recommendations as to what to change in my bios.

For some reason my ram is clocked at 333.3mhz which i am pretty sure is underclocked... (my guess is that it has something to do with my having 3gb of ram???)

Anyway if som1 could make some simple recommendations from this information i would be very appreciative:

AMD PhenomII X2 550 (BE)3100.0Mhz, 15.5x multiplier, bus speed 200MHz
HT Link 2000mhz

Main board Msi MS-7374

memory generic: 1x2gb 333.3MHz
1x1gb 333.3MHz
fsb:dram 3:5
5,5,5,15,20,2T
Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI SPP rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 740a SLI MCP rev. A2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Unganged)
Memory Frequency 333.3 MHz (3:5)
CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 20
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 2000.1 MHz

Hope that is enough info

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

acer0169

Distinguished
Hang on woah woah woah.. not many people overclock AMD CPU's? Where the hell did that come from? AMD are constantly bringing out AMD Black Editions which are made for overclockers and few else. Pretty silly comment if you ask me.

Anyway.. to the OP:

You're RAM is clocked at 333MHz but as it's DDR2 it's running at a dual-rate of 667MHz.. so there's nothing wrong with your RAM, it's running as it should. For example.. I have 800MHz RAM and CPU-Z say's it's running at 400MHz, but because it's DDR2 you double it to get your effective clock.

You have a black edition CPU which is perfect for overclocking as it's got an unlimited multiplier.

You're settings are currently:
15.5x multiplier with a bus speed of 200MHz. So 200x15.5 = 3100 (hence your 3.1GHz clock). So if you up your multiplyer to say 16.5, your CPU will then be running at 3.3GHz.

You should be able to run at 3.3GHz without any changes to your stock voltage, but to make sure it's stable.. download a copy of Prime95 and let it run for an hour or so to make sure your computer doesn't crash and your temps are okay.

If it passes without fault, your computer is stable at them speeds. If you increase your multiplier again and then test with prime and it crashes, you can either clock your CPU down and leave it at that.. or you can increase your core voltage and keep going.

Increasing voltages can be worrying for the first time, but if you have a search around these forums are there are amazing and detailed tutorials of how to find your highest stable clock etc.

Hope this helps.