Sign in with
Your question

Is the Western Digital 300GB SATAII 10000rpm an good?

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2010 12:06:14 PM

is the Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATAII 10000rpm any good?

am am going to use it for games maybe cad all the stuff a college student gets up to :D 

i am asking this because ther is mixed reviews (eg computer shopper: dont get it) and (bit-tech good if you dont have money for ssd)

what do you think?

i was going to get a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB keep to that?

thanks for the time and help.

June 4, 2010 1:35:35 PM

I personally don't recommend seagate since I had many of their drives fail on me.

As for the raptor, it is the fastest consumer level hard drive in terms of access time and random read. But that isn't saying much since an SSD can be easily 50x faster in random operations.

What do you want to get out of a hard drive? Slightly faster load times for games? Maybe shave 5 seconds off windows boot? Thats exactly what you are paying for. If you are on a budget, it isn't really a good upgrade.

I would just recommend you get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB or a Western Digital Black FAEX 1TB
June 4, 2010 1:50:32 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I personally don't recommend seagate since I had many of their drives fail on me.

As for the raptor, it is the fastest consumer level hard drive in terms of access time and random read. But that isn't saying much since an SSD can be easily 50x faster in random operations.

What do you want to get out of a hard drive? Slightly faster load times for games? Maybe shave 5 seconds off windows boot? Thats exactly what you are paying for. If you are on a budget, it isn't really a good upgrade.

I would just recommend you get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB or a Western Digital Black FAEX 1TB

thanks

What do you want to get out of a hard drive? fast speed for games for (hdd) might be nice for a fast boot speed(if a big jump 10sec)

i might do a lot of downlode games would it worth it?
!