Sign in with
Your question

Connecting a NAS to second NIC on W2k Server

Last response: in Networking
May 20, 2009 10:46:40 PM

Hello,

I have a Windows2000 Server that does our network backups to an internal tape changer using Backup Exec for Windows Server (BEWS).

I have just upgraded from tape to a NAS drive.

While the simple answer is to connect the NAS to the NW switch, I was hoping I could connect it to the 2nd NIC in the server. My thinking is it may isolate the NAS from other NW users snooping & possibly work better.

My problem is that the server can't see the devices on both NICs, therefore BEWS can't see them either. Workgroup viewing seems to default only to the NIC with the NAS. I have to disable that NIC to see the NW hosts on the other NIC. The 2 NICs are just different IPs on the same subnet.

Is ther a simple solution or do I need to move the NAS NW connection to the switch?

Thanx.....Len
May 21, 2009 3:34:58 PM

Try setting the Nas to a different network from the normal network. Do not put a default gateway in the config. Hard set the servers other nic ip with the correct gateway for the normal network.
May 29, 2009 2:12:57 PM

sturm said:
Try setting the Nas to a different network from the normal network. Do not put a default gateway in the config. Hard set the servers other nic ip with the correct gateway for the normal network.

AKA use a different subnet. If your network uses 192.168.1.X then use 192.168.2.X
!