bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hey, I'm building a new PC and I just want to make sure that the build is good. It costs $857 after rebates, shipping, and tax. I have a really tight budget, so I can't increase the cost.

Click

Would DDR2 800 be fine if I wanted to overclock anything? (Keep in mind I'm a big PC noob.)

Is this memory good?

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269

Also, will putting it together be hard? Is there a site that could run me through everything?

Much appreciated.

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
sorry i cant answer any of your questions. but putting it together shouldnt be hard. look it up on youtube ull find lots of videos. im still waiting for my pc build to come in the mail.

Ouch Bananaboy, you can do better for the cost.

The big problem is the Antec EA500W along with that GTX 260. That's cutting things a bit close. The case isn't really well cooled, and not a great OC choice.

I put together another build, similar to yours, but with a better GPU, case, and less expensive but just as good PSU.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=13743347
There are some hefty rebates in that one, and I think it may actually come out as less in the end.

bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks. One question, how long after do you mail rebates? What if the parts break after you send it in with a cutout UPC code?

You'll want to wait long enough to verify the components seem to be working correctly since newegg won't allow you to return hardware with the UPC missing. You can still RMA through the manufacturer, but it's not usually as hassle-free as going through newegg. When you decide to mail in the rebate form all depends on the return policy for the piece of hardware and when the rebate expires.

bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The cache has very little effect on HD speed. The 640GB drives have higher data density and are faster than the 500GB drives. For the same price I'd pick the 640GB drive any day. It's a faster drive with a free 140GB of storage.

bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks. Another question :p

Where can I buy an ESD wrist strap? Also, do I need special screwdrivers and other tools to install the parts to prevent ESD?

Newegg has wrist straps.

It's far more important to just avoid static electricity.

Assemble in the kitchen, away from carpets.
Wear no wool or nylon.
If it's cold where you live, and has been that way for a while, boil some water. Dry air produces static electricity. Moist air conducts better, so there is less differential in surfaces.

bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
All right, my parts should be coming today, and I need a good guide for putting a PC together. Anyone have one? Thanks.