First New Rig in 4 Years - Please Help

jbrandon

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hey Folks,

I'm building my first new system in 4 years and I could use some advice. My situation is somewhat unique. I live in the sticks and my electricity is provided by a generator. This presents a problem with my current compy as I have to set the BIOS every time I shut the genny off. So I'm guessing I need a UPS backup. How big should I size it? It only needs to provide power to stuff on the motherboard, right?

I am integrating my new system with my home theater. I have a 55" Samsung Series 9 (LN55A950) and a B&K AVR507 S2 audio receiver. Since the rig will be part of the home theater, I need it to fit in the TV stand which a wide and squat (and made of cherrywood and very pretty), so I also need a horizontal case. What sort of cabling do I need between the compy and the TV, and the compy and the receiver? Where can I find a good horizontal case that meets these needs and the rest of my needs listed below?

I would like the best Intel processor, I forget the model number, but the one I saw on here was like $1500. I also want dual graphics cards and a sound card that will work well with my reciever. Silent fans are a must as well. I was going to go with an SSD as my primary HD but . . I dunno about that one. Maybe just one or two Velociraptors? What about disc drives? I have a PS3, so a BluRay writer would be nice. Is there a good BluRay/DVD/CD writer out there? I guess the BluRay writing isn't that important. What is a good DVD/CD writer? (slot loader maybe?)

Then I need to find a quiet power supply, motherboard, and RAM as well. Based on what I have above, hopefully someone can recommend those as well.

I have a degree in computer science and electrical engineering from Cal, and all this sh*t is still so f*cking confusing. So many manufacturers and so many products. Even with this site's wonderful articles, I still am lost and confused. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated. Feel free to ask more specific questions about what I want out of this rig. Oh yeah, I am a hardcore gamer, so . . . keep that in mind I guess.

JB

Have you replaced the PC battery yet? That might be the BIOS reset problem - not the generator.

You want a power gaming machine, Velociraptor HDs, dual graphics cards but you also want a small form factor case, silent fans and a quiet power supply? It's pretty much an either/or solution - Power or Quiet.
Unless you build a quiet HTPC and a high-end gaming machine?

What is your total budget? You certainly dont need a $1500 CPU. You'd be better off with a $500 CPU and a 2nd PC for your quiet HTPC.

The only connection you'd need between the PC and TV is a HDMI cable.

jbrandon

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
word, considering my sh*t is like 4 years old i should probably check the battery. i dont need a small form factor, just a horizontal one. ive had a hard time finding them, i guess i could lay a tower on its side to fit in the stand. if the rig is in a drawer in the stand, noise wouldn't be that bad . . . so maybe focus on power?

small.gif

They still make the old desktop style horizontal case that will fit a full size motheboard and all the gamer goodies.
Lian Li PC-C30A
Review:Lian Li PC-C30A

Would something that size fit in that drawer you mentioned? What is the ventilation like? That would be my major worry. Good ventilation will be the biggest challenge for a gaming setup.
Can you list the largest item that would fit in the drawer (keeping in mind the cables coming out the back)?
Or I guess the height and depth of the drawer would be enough.

A good start for a high end gaming machine would be:
Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz cpu
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel RAM

jbrandon

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Yeah that box should fit and is exactly what I was looking for. The TV stand has an open back and the front is ventilated, so that should be all good. Thanks for the recs, Now I have a good place to start.