some guys at a local shop threw an oem DVD rom at me when i said what I was looking for (sata lightscribe).. I assumed it would have dual layer writing because looking around online it seemed to be standard so forgot to mention it, but i guess i'm an idiot. well, it's also a discontinued model. looking at their website, they don't seem to carry any dual layer sata lightscribe dvdroms.
Lightscribe is kinda cheesy, but I got it because I am going into Multimedia where sometimes I do have to make DVDs for people and stick on labels/sharpie don't look very professional. And while I don't care about dual layering for myself, I know that the opportunity with a client might arise where it would be necessary so i wanted to have support for it.
So I'm trying to decide what to do if I should just keep the thing or try and return it and get another one somewhere else. hurmph.