Building House - Cabling question

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
I'm building a house (in US) and planning on doing all CAT5e as my wiring and doing what they call "sturural wiring". My question is if there's things I'm not thinking about in terms of my wiring/technology around my house that can be put in while building but not overly expensive.

For instance, I am planning on running network drops in certain points of the house and all those drops will be located back in my office where I can control where they are put in the network etc...

Just curious if others have ideas on this and what things would be good to think of now... if it isn't a huge budget buster!! ;)

thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you just need a bunch of cable, network jacks (like the phone jacks in the wall) and a patch pannel, or multiple wall jacks at the center of the wiring web. running the wires is the hard part but if you can do it before the sheet rock is up its easy as pie. a box of 1000 feet cat 5 is about 80 bucks or so. then the wall jacks are about 3 bucks each. while your running the cables you might as well run two drops into each room. a patch pannel will run about 30 bucks, i think it has 24 jacks on it. you just have to figure out how to mount it.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Remember to use the correct grade cabling and follow the appropriate rules according to your state and insurance company. Plenum cable is a must if the cable is to be above the ceiling or in the wall and you also need to fasten the cable correctly depending on wall/ceiling type.

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
its not that big of a deal, plain cat5 is fine. the most special thing about plenum is it doenst give toxic gas when it burns. you need a lot of cabling to reach toxic levels.

now featuring valve security module!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Sure, until a fire happens and they prove neglect on your part. Had a client in OC, California once who lined cable in the ceiling. Regular Cat5 across the tiles. Then an electrical fire happened in a room that only had one lead through a wall (it was close to the patch panel) and the company got a nice fine and no insurance money even though the fire had nothing to do with the ethernet cabling. You don't want to be liable for that if you are building a house for someone to live in...

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Plenum cabling isnt all that much more expensive than regular Cat5 anyhow. I think it's foolish not to use it, personally.

It's like using lead paint because it's cheaper. It's all fun and games until someone starts licking the walls. It wouldnt be your fault right, since you couldnt know someone would be licking walls? ...Doesnt work that way!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
imho, if your house is burning to the point where the cat 5 in your walls or attic is burning, you have one hell of a lot more to worry about than a few fumes. these things include smoke from everything else in your house, and of course your a$$ burning. its one thing if your doing it as a buisness deal, its another if you just need to run a couple runs in your own place.

now featuring valve security module!